SD Connect C4 configuration problem - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2012
SD Connect C4 configuration problem

Greeting to All Members
I’ve just joint the Forum. Not many female members here, so I do hope to have some gentle handling (if you know what I mean). We have two mercs and one Smart in our house hold and we had Star C3 Multiplexer. Recently, I decided to get SD Connect C4 from China…. From Uk supplier I also purchased Dell 630 HDD with Xentry-Das 11-2011. It worked OK with the old C3. But with C4 I encountered a problem straight away. Now, I’m hoping to obtain some help on this fantastic forum.
The problem is : SD C4 does not communicate properly with the laptop. It is connect via green wire and it shows on Windows bottom tusk bar as “accessible” (yellow icon with open padlock and nr 21). Network connection shows as “connected”. However, when I try to configure SD C4 with Administration Tool Kit, it cannot access the device generating error message : “ SD Connect hardware defective. Please contact UHD (780)”. The same error shows when try self-test.
I read some info that Xentry 11-2011 can block the SD C4. Is my SD really faulty? Is there any way I can fix it, economically? Any comments, please.

p.s. One more question. I put 6 fully charged Ni-MH 2500Ah batteries inside SD C4, but almost immediately it reports "Low Battery" and switches itself off. Is this normall?

Last edited by Lady-Merc; 02-21-2012 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Additional Question
Lady-Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 221.122 & 212.025 & 204.089 & 906.633
Is that error message 780 instead of 870?

The SDconnect mux becomes a brick if one allows the Star computer to perform and update on it. I find it amazing that laptops are delivered with these updates active while it is easy to disable updates. It costs almost a new tool to unblock a blocked SDconnect tool.

It could still be something else, even a blacklist issue.

Fully charged 2500 mAh (I guess not Ah) batteries should survive much longer even if you keep the device on, powered from the batteries only. Are you sure you did insert them all correctly?

Welcome to the forum.
Diesel Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Hi, Thank you very much for your prompt reply. It does not sound good, does it? To be clear about it I bought the SD C4 as hardware only. Then, I bought Dell630 with DAS-Xentry installed on it. The laptop guy showed me it working with his SD connect, but he wanted to much for C4, hence I bought it directly from China. The fault reads definitely 780. Battery issue is also very strange, it drains battery within a minute.
I was also wondering why do I need to set up PI address for SD manually? It does not connect when “obtain IP automatically” is selected. I’ve got IP from some internet side, but not sure if they are correct. Also there is a slot for SD card. It is empty. What is it for, then?
I know…. Lots of questions here, so I do appreciate your patience with me. Best regards
Old 02-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

The SDconnect mux does not get blocked automatically when connected to a Star laptop or tablet. You may get a message on the screen suggesting an update for the mux but if you never accept it, the mux would not die. But if you do get those update messages, you should delete the update files/folders to avoid someone accidentally accepting the update.

Usually a private SDconnect mux is operated in road wlan mode. Then there is no computer hosting SDNC to assign IP addresses. You have to assign IP addresses manually from the same address space to enable communication between the two devices. Setting up the mux is not necessarily straightforward unless you are a familiar with networking and these tools (I am to some extent familiar with both but I still did not consider it straightforward).

I've been lucky and have not faced this error code but perhaps google would be able to help. Is neither of your HW suppliers (laptop or mux) able to help?
Old 02-23-2012, 05:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Many thanks for your advice. I do not understand this: when MUX is connect via green cable, it shows on tusk bar as yellow 21 with open padlock, it also shows wire connation. So it means that MUX is recognised by laptop. So why it is not connecting during configuration? I manually set new network connection properties IP address as 172.29.127.119. for WLan : 192.168.2. 220. For a moment I got connected, padlock icon locked! Did the self test, strangely it came out OK and list of setting was displayed . But when I tried to repeat the process it came back with the same error message as above. It does not make any sense to me….? Any suggestions ?
By the way I’m quite surprise that I have so little response to the subject. I thought that here will be many people using SD connect and have some experience. When I did my research before purchase, there were 1000s of people talking about it….?
Old 02-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Hmm..... no experienced Members here? I'm strugling here alone. I suspect configuration setup. But I can't get a proper guidance. I will keep posting the future developments
Old 02-24-2012, 12:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady-Merc View Post
I suspect configuration setup. But I can't get a proper guidance.
What was the LAN IP address of the mux, the same with WLAN? I'd like to see that you have configured your computer to the same subnet but without conflicting IP addresses (sorry about basic questions, we cannot know how experienced a new member is).

You can find SDconnect instructions from SDmedia, should help when configuring the laptop and the mux.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Thank you again. I experimented with few different IP addresses;
LAN IP: 172.29.127.119 255.255. 255.000
WLan: 192.168.2.220 255.255. 255.000
I think, I’ve connected once using these setting via green wire. It passed the self test, but that about it.
One think I still really don’t know. What happens when supposedly everything is OK and you connect the green wire to laptop (with MUX powered up) ? Cheers
Old 02-25-2012, 07:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Hello. After some experiments I have got successful connection via cable and wireless. I don’t know how I did it, but finally got it. Run self test by wireless. Pass !!! I thought is great ! But my joy was short lifted… Das nor Xentry see the MUX. Common error message. To make sure my Star installation is not corrupted I tried old C3. No problems. Quick test OK. So after few days of hair pulling I came back to square nr ONE. The problem is, I have no experience with C4 and don’t really know how to assess the device. It definitively has some issues, but is it blocked ?
What should happen when I connect OBD-II? On the small screen I got : “Device not in use” although self test passes OK. Any suggestion ….?
Old 02-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Which car are you trying to diagnose (is it one covered by DAS or one covered by Xentry)?

Can you post how your cal.ini file looks like (from F:\programme\DAS\bin)

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz