LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Phone Handset Device For S550

The Handset Device (Motorola V710) for my 2007 S550 is still on the account of the previous owner, making activation impossible for my account. After several months of effort I have given up on getting him to deactivate the device from his account. As is, the device is of no practical use to him or to me. A new device could cost me hundreds of bucks. A used one could cost less but may also be still active on the account of that previous owner, keeping me in the same situation that I am now. My mobile phone carrier is Sprint but, as I understand it, to work in a Benz Verizon must be carrier. The local Benz dealer tells me that replacing the entire module would cost about a $1000. Has anyone switched to Sprint as the carrier for a Benz, particularly my model? Any ideas on how to get a reliable replacement handset that I can activate on my account?

Last edited by wmsking; 02-18-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 12:14 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2011
Vehicle: Timeship, see you yesterday, but you already knew that.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmsking View Post
The Handset Device (Motorola V710) for my 2007 S550 is still on the account of the previous owner, making activation impossible for my account. After several months of effort I have given up on getting him to deactivate the device from his account. As is, the device is of no practical use to him or to me. A new device could cost me hundreds of bucks. A used one could cost less but may also be still active on the account of that previous owner, keeping me in the same situation that I am now. My mobile phone carrier is Sprint but, as I understand it, to work in a Benz Verizon must be carrier. The local Benz dealer tells me that replacing the entire module would cost about a $1000. Has anyone switched to Sprint as the carrier for a Benz, particularly my model? Any ideas on how to get a reliable replacement handset that I can activate on my account?
So your intention is to stop using a free phone and start paying for it?

Top five reasons I posted in your topic:

1. You're talking about god, there has never been any god of any kind. EVER!

2. I just have a general dislike of you.

3. I am trying to tell you how to fix your Mercedes and you are not listening.

4. I'm flirting with Jody.

5. You're just to dumb to own a Mercedes, and should go buy a Honda.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
For six months the previous owner ignored my request that he deactivate his service so I could activate my own. After he finally discontinued his line of service, the handset device in the car remained on his account. I found another Ebay that I am expecting to receive this week. Hopefully it will work and is not also registered a previous owner.
So yes, my intention is stop using his free phone. For all I know he could be listening in on my calls.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
The factory installed cradle on the 2007 S550, and presumably others as well, requires the Motorola V710 phone with MB internal electronics and Verizon as the service provider. A Motorola V710 phone is available from Verizon but without the MB internal electronics and will not work with the MB factory installed cradle. For all other phones and service providers, MB offers a blue tooth dongle (puck) available from MB dealers. As a general matter, the factory installed Motorola V710 phone in the factory installed cradle is reportedly more reliable and less susceptible to dropped calls and fade outs.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 02:26 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
The cradle selection in the US is pretty limited compared to the Euro options but there still are many other options in addition to the V710, both GSM and CDMA phones.

http://www.wireless4mb.com/MB%20cradles.pdf
MHI Cradle Info
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
The bluetooth dongle is one option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in