2nd post. Advice on hill start with manual box & foot park brake... - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2nd post. Advice on hill start with manual box & foot park brake...

This is my 2nd post, I thought I would let my self go with 2 at once...

Just bought a 59 plate (2009) CLC 180 Kompressor with Manual gearbox...its the best car I have owned by far...

I have been driving for many years and have driven hundreds of makes and models as I have worked for several main car dealerships but I have never come across this foot operated parking brake system until now...

This will have been asked bofore many times I am sure but nothing comes up in a search on here...

My query is...how do you juggle the 4 pedals and hand brake release to best effect on a very steep hill with cars in front and close behind without straining the handbrake or slipping the clutch ?

I can see how it would be ok and nice and easy in an auto, you just switch from park to drive and then release the foot brake presumably but it seems so hard to get used to in a manual car...

I am a very experienced driver but I havent got used to it yet, you have to find the biting point until the nose of the car lifts up...this must be straining the parking brake mechanism so I try not to overdo it... I let the brake off by hand and it rolls back and nearly hits the car behind...I Jam the brake back on again with my clutch foot... rev it up again till the bonnet rises up a bit more this time... let the handbrake off by hand.. this time it lurches off the lights like you are at santa pod and you risk hitting the car in front...

I am wondering how more inexperienced drivers get on with it... at the moment I tend to hold it on the clutch rather than risk hitting another car as they pull right up behind you here in the UK even on steep hills... I bet a new clutch wont come cheap if I keep slipping it for several minutes at a time....

I wanted a manual as I dont like auto gearboxes as they use more fuel and I was wondering why nearly all CLC Coupes are auto... is this the reason...

I was wondering if I am missing something and was thinking this will badly affect the reseale value of the car if people find out its so hard to get off a steep hill with a manual box...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 06:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Using parking brake for traffic stops on incline is for women.
If you can't move your right foot fast from brake to gas -you can always use the tip on the brake, toe on the gas pedal technique.
BTW lot of MB models do have hill holding mechanisms, that usually activate with winter setting. I wonder if your manual might have something like that as well.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 02:12 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Using parking brake for traffic stops on incline is for women.
If you can't move your right foot fast from brake to gas -you can always use the tip on the brake, toe on the gas pedal technique.
BTW lot of MB models do have hill holding mechanisms, that usually activate with winter setting. I wonder if your manual might have something like that as well.
LongbowArcher is going to reply that automatic transmissions are for women . That isn't true anyway, auto tranny is for old drivers like myself too. The OP seems to come from the UK where I understand they use the handbrake in all odd situations, I guess we have to accept that.

No hill hold on manual cars but the new ones would have brake hold function, I don't think a CLC does.

Anyway, I would agree that after some practise one should not need the hand brake for hill start. Meanwhile (for LongbowArcher) you cannot stress the the parking brake too much, just be careful not to burn your clutch.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2012
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
LongbowArcher is going to reply that automatic transmissions are for women .
I wouldnt be so tactless but in the UK yes your are right, here in the UK most people think auto boxes are for old people or more likely for peoiple who cant drive very well and dont have the hand eye co-ordination to be able to drive with a "proper" gearbox...

There is no way that many people would consider buying a rear wheel drive sporty coupe then having an auto box on it that wastes fuel, costs more to buy and goes slower...

With the Mercs here it seems different though... I asked at the Merc delaers why there are so many automatic gearbox Mercs for sale and so few manuals and he reckoned that it was because most Merc drivers are older drivers... he said homself though that he couldnt figure out why any one would want a sporty car with an auto box as it defeats the object and takes away the driving pleasure...

Here in the UK you can even get driving licences for people who cant manage to drive a manual car and people with an "Auto" licence can only drive a car with auto boxes on these limited licences...

I know in the US every one drives auto boxes but then fuel is a lot cheaper so you also have bigger engines in general... We pay about £6 per gallon here which is about $9.41 per gallon... how much is it in the US just out of interest ?

You have all these massive open roads in the US whereas we have lots of twisty turny little roads everywhere so we are up and down our gears a lot more in the UK... I can see why an auto would appeal in the US with cheaper fuel and roads that go on forever...

Anyway I am getting more and more used to it now, I will feel a bit nervous letting anyone else drive it though in case they cant get used to it as quick... I am ok on small inclines its just when you stop at lights on a really steep hill and someone pulls up to the bumper that I get nervous pulling away...

I just dont want to strain the handbrake cable or whatever operates it hence my post...

I bet you US Merc drivers would laugh at my little 1.8 litre 4 cylinder engine but a 1.8 with supercharger is a fair size engine here in the UK...not classed as big but definitely not classed as a small engine/motor... a lot of our everyday runaround cars here are about 1 litre (1000cc) to 1.3 Litres these days... most engines are under 2.0 litres in the UK, even Diesels are generally about 1.8 to 2.5litres on most cars here...

Anyway I have gone off topic and am waffling...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 07:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
High test fuel here is about $3.50/gallon and diesel is about $3.75.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 10:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
In US it is very hard to buy sport car with manual transmission. Last manual Mercedes imported by MBUSA was I think in 1970's, so basically when it comes to cars with manual, we have extremely limited choices.
That said my truck is having manual transmission. Ever tried to move uphil having 15 tons rig?
Manual transmissions in trucks are having lower tow rating than automatic. My guess is that the owners of manuals have been burning clutches under warranty and that is why manufacturer didn't want to pay for their lousy driving.
That said, growing in Poland I had manuals only available. Had lot of fun with them. Loved the sporty technique of up-shifting while having gas pedal on the floor. Sure it wear the clutch, but the fun was worth the extra maintenance.
Today's automatic use less fuel than manual models BTW. That is due to lower differential ratios and converter locks applying on several gears.

Last edited by Kajtek1; 01-27-2012 at 10:27 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 03:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
In US it is very hard to buy sport car with manual transmission. Last manual Mercedes imported by MBUSA was I think in 1970's...
Really?

Used 2010 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C300 For Sale | Bridgewater NJ .

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in