LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2011
Vehicle: 2006 CL600 2011 C300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Looking to buy MB Star Diagnosis unit.... BUT...?

..I am looking for any model that runs the rodeo test.

Since I will be keeping this 06 CL600 for years and probably purchase another once I get tired of this model, I am going to drop a few bucks on a unit instead of hitting the dealer every time I need something scanned.

On that note, I am currently changing my ABC pump and want to flush the system and I need to run the rodeo test to do this.

So, the real question is.... Do ANY of these cheap knock off units actually do any ABC tests? Rodeo??

I have looked all over the net and on here and I have yet to see anyone that has purchased one of these units mention the words 'ABC or rodeo'.

I did a search on here and all over the net, nothing is showing up. Even ebay auctions do not mention this test or even the letters 'ABC'.

Diesel Benz, he mentions something here about knowing some place that he deals with or likes in this thread but does not mention the name of the business...
Quote:
Sounds like this shop did not know that a HDD prepared for a T30 needs an update for EPC and Xentry keys. Since they provided the laptop, they should have taken care of this before delivery. But they should have been able to help you afterwards too because most often people buy just the tool without a laptop. If you had bought the tool from my favourite shop, I'd help you fix these issues.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/gene...agnosis-3.html

So, on that note does anyone have any knowledge of a place to purchase a unit that does in fact run the Rodeo test? Not looking for Genuine MB here, just aftermarket.

One other question.. will whatever unit I purchase be able to remove the 'Limp mode' my car is in due to a failed coil pack? Just wondering...

TIA for any help. It is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 02:53 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
The rodeo test ("Cyclically alternating actuation of all suspension struts in a circular motion" as called by DAS) is only one of the many standard tests that the Star diagnosis tool can do.

As long as the software is working (this is not always obvious), even a cheap SDS clone can do this test. Cheap clones are not bad because of missing features, the problem is that the hardware fails so easily.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Hi Diesel, Thanks for the reply.

My question is.. can and have you personally seen, one of these clones actually do the rodeo test among other ABC tests and can one detect the codes for ABC?

If you have seen a particular unit do this, can you give me a link or number and item description online somewhere so I can look it over??

I am interested in purchasing one now.

I am going to be doing a bunch of things on the car at one time so I figured I would grab it asap.

Also, would you happen to know if a particular unit can clear the LIMP MODE from my car as well??

I had a coil pack die and the car basically now fixed will not rev past 3000 with power.
I have read it is in LIMP MODE.

TIA.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 06:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

I think you see your car somehow different from diagnosis point of view when compared to other cars. The point is that a real Star Diagnosis tool with well installed software can do everything with any MB car (that has something to be diagnosed) equally as the official dealer can do with their tools. In some details the "unofficial" tools can do more (via developer menus, if we assume the dealer workshop does not request special one time rights for certain tasks). The main thing the dealer tool can do more is on-line SCN coding and programming of control units on very new models (clones can do it but you need a licence that you cannot have unless you rent the official tools).

I have not had a chance to diagnose any CL600, I assume you are talking about the C215 body. Then again I claim I have done tasks that not everyone in a dealer workshop has done (simply because they have not had the car there and the same task to be performed). But if you ask the mechanic at the dealer if he feels he can take care of the task, he would say "yes". And he is correct because he knows what his tools are built for, he does not need prior experience about one particular car and one particular diagnosis task with that car.

I'm equally confident that if you drive your car to my garage, I can take care of the road test.

What is important when you make your purchase decision is that you avoid generic OBD tools, even Carsoft and aim at a "genuine" Star Diagnosis tool. The next thing is that you should pick up one that does not fail immediately (I know forum members who have not been able to complete their first diagnosis task with their crap tool, most often those survive several months, perhaps average 2 to 6 months).

Note that I'm not a sponsor of the forum and I'm not going to recommend or even mention any specific shop.

Limp mode most likely means that something needs to be fixed from the car, clearing codes is not fixing the car. These tools can clear codes, no problem but if you have a bad valve or speed sensor in the tranny, clearing codes won't make the part any better. The tool however is very powerful when trying to identify which part is misbehaving and needs to be fixed/replaced.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the input DB, much appreciated.

My car had codes in the ECU but once the coil pack was replaced they were all gone. None and none have yet to return.

I had read that the car will go into limp mode after this happens or some other major component failure. I personally am only going by what I read.

As far as buy a genuine MB tool, I don't want to take that big of a step in the red to do so.

If I were diagnosing these car daily, sure... I would pay the top buck to get the best of the best but being this is only a weekend driver type of car, I'll take my chances with a knock off.

I was just hoping to get some personal guidance with the best place with the best quality product and take it from there.

Is there any board sponsor that does in fact sell this type of unit?
If so, do you (or anyone) have a link to their site and or info about their product?

Final question... so, are are saying that there is no doubt in your mind at all that 'any' of these knock off units can in fact perform a Rodeo test??
And check codes for the ABC system??

I just want to be clear is all. Like I said, I read A LOT in the last few days and not even one company out there describes the Rodeo test or even uses the term 'ABC' in their info for the tool. That to me says somethings up...

I would figure for sure that if in fact the tool can do it and the software they provide is fully 'open' (being nice there...lol) they would have that in the items description as well.

Thanks.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 09:56 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: BMW 850+850CSi, Tbirds, Mustang
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Did you ever get a star diagnostics? Which one did you go with?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 12:26 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaifanSC View Post
Did you ever get a star diagnostics? Which one did you go with?
While waiting for a reply from Agrat, I think this thread could be appropriate for a warning: I have recommended to use UIFTECH for several forum members and they used to deliver very good tools but I'll give an early warning about this company.

A friend of mine purchased the MB C3 diagnosis tool via a local shop (that buys a lot from UIFTECH) but the tool seemed to have an issue with one of the CAN bus circuits. The tool passed the self-test perfectly which was confusing. UIFTECH took the part for warranty repair and sent it back after almost three months, but nothing had been changed. Obviously they don't have any opportunity to test the product "in real life" and only rely on the self-test (which is not very complete for a C3).

A single issue could happen to any shop but since then they have stopped responding to my emails, even if I asked for a quote. Unless anyone is able to confirm different conclusions, I would strongly recommend to stay away from this shop, there are other options (although shops that sell the high quality tool are actually quite rare).

I will report if we ever resolve the warranty issue with UIFTECH.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 12:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricgreco7 View Post
The mentions something here about knowing some place that he deals with or likes in this thread but does not mention the name of the business...
I thought it would be against forum rules to "advertise" shops that are not forum supporters (do not pay to keep the forum up and running).

Personally I have nothing against advertising shops but I would prefer accurate support for any recommendations, otherwise the forum is filled up with Chinese members who advertise their own products.

If anyone is interested, I can tell about my personal experience via PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 11:21 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 2003 SL55 Obsidian Black, 2007 ML500 Silver
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Star Diagnostic and ABC

I bought an SDS back in June, primarily to diagnose a problem with the vario roof on my 2003 SL55.

After a few gremlins and some helpful support from the vendor it worked nicely and helped me solve the problem (detailed in another post)

After a single ABC warning last week and a one off puddle under the front LHS of the car and splashes around the ABC reservoir with no apparent source I attempted to query the ABC module using the SDS

So far, after a number of attempts it won't talk to any of the chassis modules (ABC ESP SBC)

I altered the baud rate after reading ricebubble's great post but to no avail

I get the "module is not installed etc" message with a number of options for diagnosing the problem.

I know the module works because the dealer played with it last year after another one off problem detailed elsewhere. The alleged ABC pump failure miraculously cured itself when I told them I had bought a genuine pump in the US rather than buying their one for $AUD8000

I've just completed a filter change and flush just in case. I bought generic ABC fluid from an independent supplier for $60/litre but was 1/2l short in the end. The genuine litre I bought today was AUD$82. They really rip us of out here in Australia

Any ideas to point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Peter
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 12:35 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Could you first post some photos of the multiplexer, circuit boards specifically. Likely a MUX hardware issue.

What do you get for the mux self-test?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in