190e Crank Position Sensor - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Aug 2011
Vehicle: 1990 190e 2.6, 1982 Porsche 928, 1983 928s, 85.5 944, 74 260z, 82 280zx, 65 elcamino, 84 dodge W150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Got out to the 190 today, put a battery on it and tried to start it. I havent started it in maybe 2 months, and i thought all would be fine. Well, i was wrong. This shit 'green' ethanol gas turns to crap in less than a year.I kept pouring gas down the hole to try to get some clean fuel to the injectors, and after about 30 minutes of doing this, it finally ran under its own power.

It would idle -ok- at first, then i held it at about 4k until it got the temp up to about 80 C and tried to let it idle. It idled rough, and would die just like it did before. When it was idling, it would die and it would restart hardly, then when the temp got a bit higher, it died and wouldnt restart. This tells me that it is the CPS.

I found where it plugged into the ICM, and tried to follow it. Failure. Then i looked around the oil filter for the thing, couldnt find it. What bites is, the one i was hoping it was (the cheap one) isnt correct for the car. It is listed as the CPS on Ebay, Autozone,Orileys, but it isnt what fits the car. Im not going to put a 200 dollar sensor on the car, because the car its self isnt worth 500. They have no resale value what so ever, which is a shame, because they are decent cars..

Can someone explain to me what the other sensor im finding is for? Its a 3 hole female connector, where the one that fits the car is a single hole. Does anyone have any pictures that show where the CPS is, and does anyone have a used one? I googled the part number on the CPS in the car, and it didnt find any exact matches. The part number is 015 545 28 28, followed by the number 072 51 923. Does anyone have a used one?

Heres a pic: <script src='http://img37.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=cpss.jpg&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

And the car also earned itself some brownie points. It bit the hand that was trying to save it. The hood decided to fall when i was moving out from under it.. Needless to say, my hand was useless for about 10 minutes..

Any help on this issue would be appreciated. I would like to have this car alive again, but i cant seem to find anyone else that knows how to do this..

And once again, can a Moderator move the post to the 190 section so i can talk to people that know 190e's? Thanks.

EDIT:Alright, after further research, i have concluded that the 'cheap' sensor that i have found named the CPS is actually the TDC (Top dead center sensor) So it looks like im going to have to find a used one for the thing (Because im cheap when it comes to this car).... I still dont get the part number being different than every new CPS out there..

Last edited by 1990_190e; 01-29-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: