LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle: 2006 CLK-350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy 2006 CLK-350 Transmission Problems...Help!!

About 6 months ago I bought a beautiful 2006 CLK-350 coupe. At the time I had no idea these cars had a "history" of transmission problems. The car began failing to accelerate with the transmission "slipping." I contacted a local Mercedes Service dealer and was advised to replace the conductor plate...which I did...$1,200.00 The car then ran great for about 6 weeks and began slipping again. Seems that I was always able to pull over to the side, turn the car off, restart it...and the problem would go away. Of course I "knew" that at some point I would have to address the problem.

This past weekend the transmission seems to have locked into 2nd or 3rd gear and will not shift at all now. Has anyone experienced this with their CLK-350? I'm being told the transmission needs to be replaced to the tune of about $5,000.00. I am literally "sick" over this. I don't know who to believe. One shop tells me "one thing"...another shop..."something else." One guy says; "DON'T ALLOW SOMEONE TO REBUILD THE TRANSMISSION AND RE-INSTALL IT, ...YET HE WANTS TO TO INSTALL A "REBUILT" TRANSMISSION?? What's the difference? Either way seems that I will have a rebuilt transmission at the end of the day.

As I said, I am literally "sick" over this. Sorry to be so long-winded here, thanks for listening and reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 06:51 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld, since this happened the second time, after the conductor plate change have the fault codes been read out?

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Well, the shop that replaced the conductor plate for me read out the codes recently and I know that it was throwing some "transmission" codes but I don't know exactly what the codes said? All I know is that NOW the car is stuck in either 2nd or 3rd gear and will not shift at all. I'm sure it is going to be expensive...but I just need to find someone who has experienced this problem BEFORE simply so I can have peace of mind that "someone" knows what they are talking about. I live in Southeast Texas...90 miles from Houston where there are "hundreds" of transmission repair shops. Oddly enough the "European" shops who "specialize" in Mercedes and BMW ...they want to install a rebuilt transmission but don't want to warranty their "labor." They tell me the transmission would have a 2 year warranty...but if something went wrong and I had to bring it back to them...I would have to pay for their "labor" to correct any problems with the rebuilt transmission. Bulls**t!! Then, the shops such as "America's Transmission" who WORK on Mercedes but don't necessarily "specialize" in them...they are telling me they can rebuild the transmission for about the same about....EXCEPT when I drive it off their lot it will be FULLY 100% WARRANTED FOR 100K MILES "PARTS AND LABOR."

I ran a check on their "customer complaints" and they are clean as a whistle with the BBB in Houston...no complaints at all. I'm leaning toward America's Transmission simply because they are telling me..."when they fix it, ...it will be FIXED and they are GUARANTEEING it." Your thoughts? By the way...thanks for responding.
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 03:39 AM
Outstanding Contributor

The fact that it is stuck in 2nd gear points to limp mode which means an electronically detected fault and a code has been set on the computer, we need to know what that code is.

If it required a transmission rebuild then there may be slipping clutches but the car should not be stuck in limp mode. Because this would be mechanical/hydraulic as opposed to electronic.

To avoid paying for a transmission you may not need I would ask you to read the fault codes and post them here first so we can annalyze them.

ERIC.

post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Well I really appreciate that...at least that gives me some "hope" that I might not have to replace or have the transmission rebuilt. Problem is...who can I trust to "shoot straight" with me? I can only imagine that most shops would LOVE to book a $5,000 transmission job...even the Mercedes shops. Do you think if I took it to an actual Mercedes Dealer they would shoot straight with me?
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:31 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny12554 View Post
Well I really appreciate that...at least that gives me some "hope" that I might not have to replace or have the transmission rebuilt. Problem is...who can I trust to "shoot straight" with me? I can only imagine that most shops would LOVE to book a $5,000 transmission job...even the Mercedes shops. Do you think if I took it to an actual Mercedes Dealer they would shoot straight with me?
No one will "shoot straight" with you and accept that. Ask for a fault code readout is all and pay for it, then say thank you and walk away and post the fault code read out here.

ERIC.

post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
One thing about going to a dealer is they all have the proper diagnostic equipment. But like anything, there are a few bad apples in the barrel. Pay them for 1 hour of diagnosis time and post the codes here. Someone like Eric will be able to interpret them for you.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann View Post
One thing about going to a dealer is they all have the proper diagnostic equipment. But like anything, there are a few bad apples in the barrel. Pay them for 1 hour of diagnosis time and post the codes here. Someone like Eric will be able to interpret them for you.
Fair point "someone like Eric" , we have many members who give great advice but can only do so if you give us the right information.

ERIC.

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric242340 View Post
Fair point "someone like Eric" , we have many members who give great advice but can only do so if you give us the right information.
Well you are certainly one of the best and since you were already trying to help him...

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Hey thanks a LOT!! That really means a lot to me that you guys would help me out like that. I'm going to have to go to U-haul and rent a auto transport trailer and tow it down to Mercedes in Beaumont Texas. I will do exactly that, ...I will ask them to simply hook it up to their computer and give me a copy of the fault codes. I also know that it was throwing a code about the "cam shaft" at one time...but the Mercedes Service shop (not the Mercedes Dealer) told me the cam shaft problem was not that expensive and was common with these models. Thanks again... I really appreciate you guys. Hopefully one day I can return the favor. I make my living playing guitar for Mark Chesnutt, he was telling me that he had this exact car a few years ago and had the same problems. He sold his before it locked up on him as mine has. Foolish me. Good thing I play guitar better than I choose cars. Thanks again... back to you soon with the codes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in