LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
A first time owner

I purchased a 1999 Mercedes S420 today. The vehicle has 128K miles on it. The Carfax was clean and the exterior and interior is in excellent shape. The vehicle has had four owners. Most of them leased the car. The Carfax indicated that the car has been regularly serviced through the years and no major repairs or accidents were indicated (which of course does not mean that there were not any). We paid 6,500 which included the transfer fee and a 90 day power train warranty. I like the way the car drives and has plenty of power, handle good enough like you would expect a large automobile to do and the engine and transmission sound and work well. The car did not come with an owners manual which is a drag since I do not know where everything is and what it is supposed to do. That said, all of my friends warned me about purchasing a used Mercedes and advised I would be taking it to the repair shop on a regular basis however this is the car my wife really wanted so I relented and purchased the vehicle. Since owning it now for 6 hours, I have discovered that the radio does not work (it comes on, shows that it is picking up stations but no sound) Also, only half of the dash board lights come on or in other words, I have lights on the left hand side starting at the gas gauge but stop right before the speedometer (the other interior lights on the heater, sound system and gear shifter do work. And to top it off, the windshield wiper on the right headlight is stuck right in the middle and will not move no matter what I try (the left one is working). So my question is are these problems indications of things to come? Will I now be replacing various electronic parts along with starters, alternators, and electric fuel pumps? I am used to owning vehicles greater than 10 years old like Volvos and Toyotas and have had good luck getting these over the 200K mark with not too much additional expense on my part. I am hoping to have the same experience with this Mercedes but I maybe that is unrealistic. Any thoughts and comments are welcome. BTW, where in the heck are the fuse boxes?

Bests Regards……..Brownlab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 10:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2011
Vehicle: Timeship, see you yesterday, but you already knew that.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownlab View Post
I purchased a 1999 Mercedes S420 today. The vehicle has 128K miles on it. The Carfax was clean and the exterior and interior is in excellent shape. The vehicle has had four owners. Most of them leased the car. The Carfax indicated that the car has been regularly serviced through the years and no major repairs or accidents were indicated (which of course does not mean that there were not any). We paid 6,500 which included the transfer fee and a 90 day power train warranty. I like the way the car drives and has plenty of power, handle good enough like you would expect a large automobile to do and the engine and transmission sound and work well. The car did not come with an owners manual which is a drag since I do not know where everything is and what it is supposed to do. That said, all of my friends warned me about purchasing a used Mercedes and advised I would be taking it to the repair shop on a regular basis however this is the car my wife really wanted so I relented and purchased the vehicle. Since owning it now for 6 hours, I have discovered that the radio does not work (it comes on, shows that it is picking up stations but no sound) Also, only half of the dash board lights come on or in other words, I have lights on the left hand side starting at the gas gauge but stop right before the speedometer (the other interior lights on the heater, sound system and gear shifter do work. And to top it off, the windshield wiper on the right headlight is stuck right in the middle and will not move no matter what I try (the left one is working). So my question is are these problems indications of things to come? Will I now be replacing various electronic parts along with starters, alternators, and electric fuel pumps? I am used to owning vehicles greater than 10 years old like Volvos and Toyotas and have had good luck getting these over the 200K mark with not too much additional expense on my part. I am hoping to have the same experience with this Mercedes but I maybe that is unrealistic. Any thoughts and comments are welcome. BTW, where in the heck are the fuse boxes?

Bests Regards……..Brownlab
Welcome to 140 ownership. 140 is the chassis number for your Mercedes. So in the future, the 140 section are your friends.

Lots of 140 owners here that have done almost every repair to your chassis you can think of. EVERYTHING.

The problem with you car is an issue of maintence, if you maintain it well, it will last forever. Treat it like a race car, and it will be junk in no time.

Any diagram, diagnostic tree or how to you need, ask myself directly, or any of the other 140 lovers here. A band of brothers they are.

All of the issues you have need to be handled one at a time. But I would take it back, and make them fix EVERYTHING you see wrong now!

I'm sure the guys will let you know what is messed up right now, that you are not even aware of.

Biggest problems.

P.S.E. pump (door locks)

Duo-valve (heater-A/C)

And I'm sure others will add.

Welcome.

Top five reasons I posted in your topic:

1. You're talking about god, there has never been any god of any kind. EVER!

2. I just have a general dislike of you.

3. I am trying to tell you how to fix your Mercedes and you are not listening.

4. I'm flirting with Jody.

5. You're just to dumb to own a Mercedes, and should go buy a Honda.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 07:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Here is a link to a 2000 S-class owners manual:

Mercedes-Benz - Home of C, E, S, CLS, CL, SLK, SL, R, GLK, M, GL, G Class

Hopefully it will still help. Remember you can search the forum specific to your chassis and it will help with the issues you are having. Properly maintained mercedes will go forever. Mercedes reputation is built on reliablity. Naturally there will be models in there that do not fit the bill but after 125 years in business, you cannot hit a homerun every single time. The w140 is solid. Just start reading up on it on the forum! Oh, and welcome and congratulations on your mercedes.

Mike
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2012
(Thread Starter)
Thank to both Mercedes Mechanic and Michael. Very helpful. I did find the fuse boxes under the hood and in the trunk. All of the them are good. The dealer will replace the radio. I was able to manually more the headlight wiper back in position and I really do not care if they work. Mad at myself for not catching that the entire instrument panel was not lighting up. Just the left side. I test drove the car during the daytime (silly me). Otherwise very happy with the car. Runs great and I will treat it like a baby.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 12:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Don't beat yourself up too much over things, the dash lights would be hard to notice in the rush of checking all the big ticket items and you're definitely better off test driving a car during the day than night, unless you do a sunset test so you can see the car in all lighting conditions. At least you've found a good support community to offer assistance from here on, so look forward to enjoying your new car!

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in