Union Made ? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 07:12 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2011
Vehicle: 2003 CLK 320 Coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I worked for a Japanese company for several years. No union, meager pay, but I actually loved working there. Yes, they rewarded quality, and they genuinely treat their employees like family. I eventually left in search of higher income. Where I ended up couldn't be more opposite. Talk about culture shock! I found my higher income, but at a unionized American company, where management generally treated their employees with disregard at best, downright hostility and disrespect at worst. I was also anti-union at first, but I quickly learned why unions are an absolute necessity at these American companies. Of course there will always be bad apples, but for the most part, everybody just wants to do their job and feed their families...safely and with dignity. While it can never be condoned, the bad things you hear about is ALWAYS just their reaction to the constant disrespect of incompetent and/or ineffective management ethic. Personally, I went from a company where we were all on a first-name basis with each others' families, to a company where I prayed they would just simply let me do my job and forget I even exist! There was no pride. There was no incentive. There was only status quo, retaliation, and output commensurate to treatment. Obviously, in both cases I was the same person, and I was never a bad employee. While (like it or not) you must credit labor unions for all the work practices you've come to take for granted (we've long since been forced to give up chaining children to machines for 14 hours a day), I agree that unions today are obsolete, and they're FAR from being incorruptible; and although Japanese and German companies do well without them, unfortunately unions are still very much a necessity in American companies.

Last edited by ellcapitan; 01-14-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 03:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2011
Vehicle: E550W4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
MB's made in the U.S. are in Right to Work states and are NOT union made. In Germany they are made by Unions. Can't think of ANY foreign brands built in the U.S. which are in Unionized plants.

The only one was in Kalifornia (Freakmont) and was closed (Toyota-GM NUMMI plant).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in