Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle: 1976 Benz 450SL; 1978 Corvette L82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
New member with Trans leak 1976 450SL

Long-time Benz owner; first time Benz World member.

I posted the following question on a different board earlier today (Peach Tree Parts). Remarkably similar format to Benzworld so hope that this post is not a duplicate into the same membership.

After my earlier mentioned post, a friend recommended that I focus on Benzworld.org...

My 1976 450SL has a growing problem with a fluid leak from the auto trans.

The car has 100K on it but has been driven less 300-500 summer miles per year for the last decade or so. A drop or two was common until the last 2-3 years when the leak escalated to about a shot glass on the garage floor each time is is parked. On one occasion recently the leak was far more extreme (fluid ran out past the rear of the car).... but back to small quantities again.

Took it to a trans shop. Was told that it is the seal where the shifter linkage enters the trans. Also was advised that a full trans rebuild is required to fix the problem. Seems extreme for a single seal when the rest of the trans appears to work perfectly.

Should I be shopping around for other opinions or is this normal for these transmissions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle: 1976 Benz 450SL; 1978 Corvette L82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Thanks Eric.

I spent much of yesterday reading old posts on this forum. Wow! Lots of great info.

I found several posts about trans leaks in 450SL cars. The common note was that most who posted do not drive their cars often, and/or park it for months as we do (indoor climate controlled) . Also there were comments that when this trans sits unused for extended periods that they tend to leak, but leak less when used more frequently.

Also noted a comment about the Torque converter losing its fluid into the trans when it sits for some time. This may explain the reluctance of my trans to engage into gear when it hasn't been driven for some months. Once it has warmed up, the trans works perfectly. And also engages properly from cold starts as long as the car has been driven within a few days.

Anyway, I am going to hold off of a complete trans rebuild and see what happens when the spring comes. It will be no hardship to drive the car more often.

Otherwise the car is pristine and completely original with the exception of Lorinser wheels and a set of Firestone Firehawk 225 X 16 55s Z
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 09:10 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roberts View Post
Thanks Eric.

I spent much of yesterday reading old posts on this forum. Wow! Lots of great info.

I found several posts about trans leaks in 450SL cars. The common note was that most who posted do not drive their cars often, and/or park it for months as we do (indoor climate controlled) . Also there were comments that when this trans sits unused for extended periods that they tend to leak, but leak less when used more frequently.

Also noted a comment about the Torque converter losing its fluid into the trans when it sits for some time. This may explain the reluctance of my trans to engage into gear when it hasn't been driven for some months. Once it has warmed up, the trans works perfectly. And also engages properly from cold starts as long as the car has been driven within a few days.

Anyway, I am going to hold off of a complete trans rebuild and see what happens when the spring comes. It will be no hardship to drive the car more often.

Otherwise the car is pristine and completely original with the exception of Lorinser wheels and a set of Firestone Firehawk 225 X 16 55s Z
Thanks for the feedback, please do hold off on transmission repairs just yet and try to drive the car a little more often. If not driving it the at least run the engine on the odd mornings and bring it up to operating temperature, this affects the transmission also.

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in