post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 1977 W123 /230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1977 Merc.W123.Aussie Outback..

G.day..my names Rab.Im in the central Australian desert..nthrn territories at Uluru the gian red rock.On arrival here 3 months ago one of the 1st things i found on the local trailer park was this 1977 W123 230 auto.It was a one old German engineer owner from new...345000kms..son inherited it,,drove it from Adelaide and laid it up.It had sat under a bush-tree for close to two years. $1000 an new battery..Start U Bastard down the carbie and a huge 4WD jumpstart..she lives..one new fuel line..and I got my fitness ticket...we just did a 1000kms desert return trip to Alice Springs...also guiltily at 160kph in one long long stretch...just testing...only thing wrong is my air flow connector on the rocker cover is totally bust..and after a 3 week part wait from Germany they sent me the wrong part..and as stated,,im in the desert..no shops..yards....etc..so im not doing anymore long trips until we can adapt something...the whole car is a bit shabby...sort the fuses out...so i can see the instrumental panel...and replace two suspension bushes..she runs like a train....we re also just about to put a decent modern soundsystem in it...ok..images
As found..

adding new coolant and repairing lines..in 40C heat

a hornets nest

comfy...but drivers side needs a bracket fixed...

so i cant rely on the Daimler official source as im so isolated..and hopefully might be getting some pieces from my former home back in New Zealand..ok ..thanks for reading...Merry Xmas...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 02:10 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Respects to you for rescuing this old lady, and I hope that you eventually find the bits you need to complete the job. You may have to rummage around scrap yards in Adelaide to find them. Trim and wheel covers should be easy to replace.

How do you make a crust at Ayres Rock?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyhole View Post
Respects to you for rescuing this old lady, and I hope that you eventually find the bits you need to complete the job. You may have to rummage around scrap yards in Adelaide to find them. Trim and wheel covers should be easy to replace.

How do you make a crust at Ayres Rock?
its Uluru nowadays..

Hi...ive made it to Alice Springs only once in 3 months..so Adelaide isnt exactly around the cnr...that would be a 3200kms round trip..so its going to have to be all done by net-post or adapt / aftermarket items...the wheels stay as they are..the only long term fantasy..which their are many..is to convert it one day to diesel..and to go sth to buy another complete car!

Ive just started working for one of the bus tour companies...and eventually im going to be a German speaking tour guide ....
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 08:43 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redearth View Post
its Uluru nowadays..

Hi...ive made it to Alice Springs only once in 3 months..so Adelaide isnt exactly around the cnr...that would be a 3200kms round trip..so its going to have to be all done by net-post or adapt / aftermarket items...the wheels stay as they are..the only long term fantasy..which their are many..is to convert it one day to diesel..and to go sth to buy another complete car!

Ive just started working for one of the bus tour companies...and eventually im going to be a German speaking tour guide ....
Good luck on that.

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Im by far the only legal classic in Yulara..which is the Ayers Rock Resort..so we aint even a official town...my nxt star emblem is on its way from..err..Bulgaria via Epay...and the local aboriginal community garage gets the job to adapt an air flow connecter..and with helpful reading on this..the new stereo is being fitted by the Bored Blokes Club...i also like the fact that its one of the earlier W123's...and the most budget model...its got all the original handbooks and has a full service history from new..and rust is a total non issue...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 11:10 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2015
Merc 300d

I am planning on doing a similiar trip to Uluru in my W123 300d manual that I bought about a year ago for 800 bucks, it's in really nice shape now that I have fixed it up abit. Initially it had some rust but it was manageable, took me a couple of days in the shed. Is there anything specific specific that i should watch out for, i am planning on putting a rooftent on my car for the trip, do people mind you just camping any where? This is a short video i made, if you want to see what it looks like. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in