LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jan 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
W126/Diesel battery choices

I recently got a 1985 300SD. The car came with an undersized battery (I think 600CCA) that the previous owner had installed. Well, after draining the battery over 4 months with the aftermarket stereo (I was at school), it's dead and I need to replace it. I live in New England.

The stock size is Group 49. Those batteries are about 850CCA. I went to a Rayovac dealer today and found one. But, they also had a truck battery (I forget the size) that rates at 1150CCA. Dimensionally it was about the same, except it was about 1/2" taller than the 49.

The truck battery is about $20 cheaper (I have a commercial account).

I want to try to put the bigger battery in and see if it fits. As long as I run the vent hose under the car, is there any reason I should NOT try to do this?

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 07:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Greyhounds View Post
I want to try to put the bigger battery in and see if it fits. As long as I run the vent hose under the car, is there any reason I should NOT try to do this?

Well, there is no reason why not, but then why not buy TWO 1150CCA batteries and run two vent hoses etc etc? After all, don't diesel trucks have at least two batteries?

Actually, allow me to rephrase: are you the "use a sledgehammer to nail in a thumbtac" kid of guy? Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 09:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1064 Post(s)
Only big diesels have dual batteries.
Is W126 battery mounted under the seat that you need vent tube?
I was fortunate to find tubed battery for our W210 at Costco for $80. Than for my diesel truck that has batteries under the hood, I bought 1000 amp Costco batteries for about $55 each. 100 months warranty.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: