New Benz fan - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 1980 Mercedes Benz 500SE (Grey Market)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New Benz fan

Whats up guys.. and gals?
Im a previous owner and restorer of a 1966 GTO, a 1971 Stingray, and a 1970 Chevelle. I am also an owner of two British Motorcycles. Well, about a month ago, I purchased a 1980 Mercedes Benz 500SE for a driver, and have since fallen head over heels in love with it. Its Blue, with Blue interior. I almost want to bring a pillow from inside to it and sleep in it... I love this car. It has 79K original miles and was a one owner car, fairly well cared for, but it sat for a couple of years due to the death of its owner. Mind you, I didn't know Jack sh_t about these cars, but I have a deep seeded appreciation for german engineering. Long story short... I bought the car from the owners son who inherited it and didn't want it (he had four young kids). The car screws... literally. I think it might actually be faster than my Vette... and the smoothness of the power that comes on the highway... wow... I really had no idea. So, Im in...thats it.. with both feet.

so, Im since finding out that the car is fairly rare.. wasn't sold in the United
States and Im having a hard time finding anything for it. It doesn't even show up on the drop down menus online at any sites or at any places I have been to, to ask about it. This is where I need some assistance. Im learning .. bare with me...

I broke down and went to a salvage yard and found a busted up 1985 500SEL that looked like it had the most similarities to my car than anything else from 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, etc... So, are the 1984 and 1985 500 series cars the ones that are most like family to mine? even though they are 5 years apart?
I went to the Benz dealership for 2 oil filters (50 bucks each?) and a high pressure power steering hose to get me going... but there are some things that I would like to get off of this other car, but how can I be sure they are compatible? The Benz dealership guys really had NEIN!!! interest in giving me that information.., unless I was going to buy their parts, understandable I guess.

My VIN is WDB12603612005824, and the VIN on the junk I found is WDB1260331A088863...

I want the windshield out of it for sure, mine is cracked completely. The wooden piece to the right of the glovebox, the taillight lenses, (exterior only), Are those different because of the Euro factor? Im thinking about the Power steering box as well... Maybe the instrument cluster? Minus the odometer obviously.. the panel wont light and I checked the fuses and the bulbs.. and if there is anybody out there with original great condition Blue heated front seats for that car, the Blue dashboard, I'd be interested in those as well... and maybe some new hub caps without rash..... a blue sunvisor clip, the original cassette radio? the speakers? all are blown and crackle.... a may need a new pump for the Hydromatic shock system in the rear as well....

Any help is much much much appreciated, specific, general, whatever, or maybe the best place to go for parts for this car? im kind of at an impasse... need a little direction... I'll put up some pics ASAP..

Thanks everyone,
Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 04:09 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld, more information here;

W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in