Defective Gas Cap(s) - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Date registered: May 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Defective Gas Cap(s)

I had my mechanic obtain a new gas cap for our 2000 E-320 wagon to stay ahead of any issues that can be caused by a bad one.
After 2 weeks of using it I went to fill up (out of town) and it wouldn't release.
Went back to his shop on the remainder of what was in the tank (I never run them all the way dry!).
Had to pry it off after getting it to the position that would allow release.

He called MB and they admitted "more or less" that the caps were POS. (THESE ARE MERCEDES PARTS IN MB BAGS)
Got another one. Last night he was in process of installing it (the lanyard to the gas door pin). While he went back to retrieve a tool to drive the push pin in I attempted to fill the car with fuel. I say attempted because this cap did the same exact thing. It would not release.

The MB dealer is getting a reaming from him as I write this. The old cap is back in place and until they can guarantee that the internals don't spin creating this issue I won't be looking for another one.

Double check yours if you get a new one. It's a PITA to get off and being a hundred miles from home on "E" with no way to get it off would be no fun.

The tell on these is that they DO NOT click when they make the full clockwise rotation. If you don't hear that there is a good chance it's not coming off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 11:10 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Typical proof that "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" is a wisdom
Thanks for warning. I am not even sure my diesel has vacuum monitoring sensor, but friend just had CEL coming because of vacuum leak on her gasser. Flipped gasket solve the problem for now, although I know it will not last another 10 years.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Here is a photo of my original and the new factory replacement. I've gotten 2 and only one was market "Blau" (as original).

The white (tinted red) portion is what is "spinning out" and is spring loaded. Once it pops you cannot get it off the car without some work.

This cap DOES NOT click when seated. It goes on never to come off!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Original Gas Cap.jpg
Views:	4668
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	414576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Defective Gas Cap.jpg
Views:	1322
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	414577  
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 08:10 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: W210 E280 2000
Problem is with the filler orifice, not the cap! One or both of the tags at the rim of the opening must bent out of position.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The old cap works fine. The lanyard broke and that is the only reason I even thought about changing it out. I figured that at some point in the future it was going to be left somewhere by accident.

2 new ones have failed. One within 2 weeks and the second one within 1 minute.

I don't see any signs of damage on the orifice and have 2 cars here to compare. I'll look at a couple of other cars to make sure that this isn't the underlying issue but why would the MB parts salesperson call the new cap(s) a POS?

That might be her standard answer when things don't work but it's sure not what I like to hear from a company (representative) that's always touted themselves as the best there is.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 08:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
You have a interesting "saga" that just didn't ring right with me at all.

I would recheck your part # - run your VIN# thru EPC yourself to confirm the correct MB part # A 149 470 03 05 (best to use Explorer rather than Chrome or Firefox for EPC use) - and from your report I suspect you have been given/getting the wrong part# all thru this deal. Not right at all actually.

You have been given/getting a "newer" style gas cap not intended for your 2000 E320 - as a result, the metal fingers on the newer gas cap are getting bent when the wrong cap is getting tightened down on your car.

Who/where you lay the blame off onto someone other than yourself is your business - rage against MB corporate if you want - whether you choose to blame your indie, or blame who might be supplying the gas cap to your indie (most indies get gas caps from non-dealer sources for a bit less than MB dealer "wholesale" prices)... who you rant against really isn't my concern.

Now... on newer MB's it is much easier for a owner on a newer MB to mistakenly twist the new stlye cap on lopsided, and that bends the ears on the new style cap, and yes that is a "problem" that newer model owners have that earlier model years did not have - but since that genuine problem on newer MB'x doesn't affect you I bet you won't pay attention...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 View Post
You have a interesting "saga" that just didn't ring right with me at all.

I would recheck your part # - run your VIN# thru EPC yourself to confirm the correct MB part # A 149 470 03 05 (best to use Explorer rather than Chrome or Firefox for EPC use) - and from your report I suspect you have been given/getting the wrong part# all thru this deal. Not right at all actually.

You have been given/getting a "newer" style gas cap not intended for your 2000 E320 - as a result, the metal fingers on the newer gas cap are getting bent when the wrong cap is getting tightened down on your car.

Who/where you lay the blame off onto someone other than yourself is your business - rage against MB corporate if you want - whether you choose to blame your indie, or blame who might be supplying the gas cap to your indie (most indies get gas caps from non-dealer sources for a bit less than MB dealer "wholesale" prices)... who you rant against really isn't my concern.

Now... on newer MB's it is much easier for a owner on a newer MB to mistakenly twist the new stlye cap on lopsided, and that bends the ears on the new style cap, and yes that is a "problem" that newer model owners have that earlier model years did not have - but since that genuine problem on newer MB'x doesn't affect you I bet you won't pay attention...
"Who/where you lay the blame off to someone other than yourself is your business?"

What? I paid for a part that was ordered based on full disclosure and documented information.
I guess it is my fault for expecting a competent person to provide the necessary goods based on facts. I knew I would be the culprit in the end.
The customer is never right.

The Indie I use has forgotten more than any of the new techies at the dealership. I'll leave it at that.
As for parts the local MB shop has been known to screw up. The Indie has already reamed them so no need for me to do the same. Blame is something I could care less about and FWIW, they have the VIN on record at the INDIE and the DEALER. So that's moot.

BTW; I love INDIES. They are the ones who keep the old ones running. I can guarantee you that once they get a certain age the dealership doesn't want to see them anymore.
Show them an MFI car and they'll run like a scalded rat.

I'm going to keep the old cap.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Autohaus AZ has the newer super-cession part too:

This is the same as I received from MB. 140.470.03.05 is long gone.
Shouldn't make a difference because both tank necks are identical in appearance and function.

FORD had a better idea. They got rid of gas caps all together! At least on my truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in