LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Nov 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Help! 1986 Benz 300E stick shift idle problem

I'm new to this so forgive me if I'm not posting in the right place or whatever.

I have a 1986 Mercedes Benz 300E 5 speed manual transmission.

As soon as I turn it on the idle goes up to like 5,000 rpm. I had a problem with the OVP (Over voltage Protection relay) before this happened. It would be hard to start when cold, but it would always start and the idle would be very low and the Antilock light would come on. I was told this was a problem with the OVP switch. After I would let it warm up the idle would just back to normal so I ignored it cause I live in San Francisco and only drive it once every couple weeks. Went to a party, drove fine there. I go out and started it and it just started accelerating. I kept it in neutral. I would give it gas and the idle would go down a little. It started to smoke near the back wheels under the car. Anyway, I replaced the OVP switch thinking that would solve the problem. It didn't. Only made it worse cause it fixed the low idle problem now the Antilock light doesn't come on and it just rev's even higher now. I'm not sure what's wrong. Could it be a stuck accelerator? A friend said it could be the clutch went out? Maybe the transmission went out? I have no idea. Please help if anyone has had this problem before.

Last edited by Explosean; 11-02-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 06:44 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Check your idle control valve, also proceed to the W124 forum.

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: