LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Oct 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
A video of the smoke from my 240D!

Hello all, I've been lusting after an old diesel mercedes for a while now, doing my homework, and scouring craigslist for a deal. I finally found a working 82 240D for only $700... (240K miles) guess that is fair, not a steal... I've been driving for a month now & I have another form of transportation so I'm going to be doing some tuning up to it / general improvements on it-new glow plugs, clean or replace injectors, diesel purge, alla that...

But here is the thing, I recently had the car loose power while driving and now it is parked and will not turn over. I guess I could go ahead and change the plugs, and get new injectors, replace all the rubber fuel return hoses...

what I've done so far before this issue...

new battery,
new air filter,
new fuel filters (both)

As of now it is blowing tons of grey/black/dark smoke. I took the air filter off to try getting more air into the mixture but that doesn't seem to do it. Any guesses on why it won't start? I drove it two days ago about 5 miles and it seemed to be loosing power randomly and shutting off. If I rev it pretty good it will run for a few seconds. Good thing I was able to get it to my girls house before it stopped... It was running fine until just recently. Also, there is a huge hole in the exhaust so the smoke is not coming out the end of the tail pipe but around the rear differential. Not sure if that is the reason ... Didn't think that had anything to do with it but maybe it does if the exhaust manifold is getting jerked loose??? I'm new to Mercedes and paid less than a gand for this and it ran fine for about a month till now... I kew it would be a project car so I'm ready to get my hands dirty... Any tips or help would be great. Thanks l!!! I bought this car for a good hands on education...

please see video Why wont my car start? - 1982 Mercedes 240D - YouTube

I hope to travel in this thing once I have it steady and running, any concerns about driving one of these across the country?
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: