post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Oct 2011
Vehicle: '98 E320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cool They see me rollin'...

Wooo! Alright, new member, previous lurker, new (old) 98 E320 owner!

Just got a 1998 E320, so far from what I can say it's been kept in mint condition. 123k miles, no body damage whatsoever, interior is impeccable, and I keep finding neat new features every time I climb in
Needless to say, I'm ecstatic. Not a single person gonna get to drive that thing but me

So that's my car, a bit about me is that I'm a tech geek, always have always been. Modding things have been my passion, just to see how everything works, and then tweak to my likings. I'm also into cars, by that I mean I know what most of the parts do and what they are, where they are, etc. Not the level of a mechanic though, just a slightly knowledgable hands-on person is what I like to think of. Ask me to replace your timing chain and I might have to look it up, but otherwise I could handle replacing wiring, most parts (o2, alt, etc) that come needing repair and I got it.

So, just got it last night, about to go jump outside in the daylight and check it out. One thing that I noticed is (of course) it had some get-up-and-go to it The other thing I noticed is that it seems as if I could get a lot more power out of it's like the power was there before just that it's gotten lazy over the years

So one of the first things I'm going to do is of course the standard tune up deal (better oil filter, air filter, flushes, etc), then move to a tint (the glass is hella clear...) but I'm not really experienced with the Benz. I've worked on mostly Toyota/Ford/Honda...
Any pointers as to where I could start to restore some of the old power to the engine? Any parts MB is known for needing replacement after a certain number of years/miles that lead to engine-ware, and a power decrease?

Now the other thing I want to do to it (eventually), is install a CarPC...developing the CPC and whatnot won't be an issue, but if anyone's reading this and wants to chime in with their CarPC install, and toss some tips/pics/etc that'd be awesome! Otherwise, I'm off to go searching for some examples

Thanks and hello!
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 03:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum spyro. You ought to ask some of these questions in the W210 section of forum (the chassis model of your E320) Here is the link:

W210 E-Class - - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

Also be sure to put up some pictures. The E320 you have gets 0-60 in the mid 7s. If it's taking your car longer then it could be any number of things really...

Have you tried resetting your transmission? The 722.6 transmission is a driver adaptive transmission after all. (My s420 has the same transmission) if you reset it then it will adjust to your driving style. Simple get in your car and put the key to the position right before the car starts (all the gauge lights should come on) Then push the gas pedal ALL THE WAY down for about 10 seconds. (Again make sure the car is NOT on) Then let go of the pedal and turn the key back to the regular position (but don't pull it out). Leave it that way for about 2 minutes and then start the car and take it for a good drive. The car will adjust to the way you drive the next time you drive it so the first few shifts will feel 'weird'. It will always be adjusting to the way you drive but the first 40 shifts after the reset determines how the car will generally drive after that.

You can always reset your transmission whenever you feel like it. It won't do any harm to the car.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 03:28 AM
Outstanding Contributor
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one."
- George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: