LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
99 sl500 running issues, need help asap

ok, i picked up a 99 sl500 to cruise around. when i got it, the car didnt run. guy said it needed some work cause it sat for a while.. ok so i charged the battery and tried to start it. car cranked and wouldnt start.. so i checkd for fuel. was no fuel.. took cover from under car where fuel pump and filter were. checked power and had power going. turned out pump was bad.. changed pump.. and this is where all my problems started.. the car will start for couple seconds and die back out.. so didnt know what to do, so i kept it floored thought maybe flooded somehow.. car will idle super rough with no power while have the pedal all the way to the floor.. nothing for trottle response or anything.. and as soon as i let off the gas pedal even a hair car will die out.. check engine came on and it said code p0100 for mass air.. tried cleaning it and resetting cel.. stayed off for maybe couple min but car still wouldnt run.. it like chugs at idle 400/500 rpms and no trottle response.. so does anyone have any idea what it could be.. i read that the oil sensor will cause the car to have no power,, will be in like safe mode. is this true? will a bad mass air not let car rev over 600/700? i worked on cars with bad mass airs before and those cars would still rev , just not run good, this car wont rev at all.. seems like oil pressure gauge isnt moving at all. any help with be appreciated.. also if it is a oil sensor, where is it located and if i do disconnect it will it let the car run normal? thanks in advance. please help asap...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
33 views, and no one has any idea?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
70 views and no one has a clue. seriously?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 01:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey badsl500 welcome to the forum.

You'll have better luck posting this in the R129 section of the forum. (the chassis model of your SL.

Here is the link.
R129 SL Class - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 04:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badsl500 View Post
ok, i picked up a 99 sl500 to cruise around. when i got it, the car didnt run. guy said it needed some work cause it sat for a while.. ok so i charged the battery and tried to start it. car cranked and wouldnt start.. so i checkd for fuel. was no fuel.. took cover from under car where fuel pump and filter were. checked power and had power going. turned out pump was bad.. changed pump.. and this is where all my problems started.. the car will start for couple seconds and die back out.. so didnt know what to do, so i kept it floored thought maybe flooded somehow.. car will idle super rough with no power while have the pedal all the way to the floor.. nothing for trottle response or anything.. and as soon as i let off the gas pedal even a hair car will die out.. check engine came on and it said code p0100 for mass air.. tried cleaning it and resetting cel.. stayed off for maybe couple min but car still wouldnt run.. it like chugs at idle 400/500 rpms and no trottle response.. so does anyone have any idea what it could be.. i read that the oil sensor will cause the car to have no power,, will be in like safe mode. is this true? will a bad mass air not let car rev over 600/700? i worked on cars with bad mass airs before and those cars would still rev , just not run good, this car wont rev at all.. seems like oil pressure gauge isnt moving at all. any help with be appreciated.. also if it is a oil sensor, where is it located and if i do disconnect it will it let the car run normal? thanks in advance. please help asap...
Did you also replace the fuel filter and did you check the fuel pressure?

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyike View Post
Did you also replace the fuel filter and did you check the fuel pressure?
fuel pressure is around 60 , didnt replace filter yet..
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 04:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badsl500 View Post
fuel pressure is around 60 , didnt replace filter yet..
I'd replace the filter just to be sure, but 60psi sounds about right. Does the pressure stay at 60 or fluctuate?

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in