BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2011
Vehicle: 2006 S500 4-matic W220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post Valve Body Pre-Safe 2006 S500

Hi:

I am new to this site as well as to blogs, but not new to Mercedes-Benz. I have had 31 of them in the past 25 years. Now I have a 2006 S500 4-matic.
My name is Kenny, and I am 48 years old from Philadelphia.

This is what I just posted to an existing thread, and, unfamiliar as I am with blogs, and having a time-sensitive issue, I thought I would copy and paste what I wrote here. Also, if someone responds to me, will I be alerted via email?

"Good morning, Gentlemen:

I am in need of some advice. I have a 2006 S500 4-matic, and, for the past 5 months, about every 2-3 weeks, I have been feeling a hard downshift when slowing down, at which point upon releasing the brakes, the dash says "pre-safe unavailable", and the car remains in a low gear. When I shut if off, and turn it back on, the message disappears, and it is fine.

I took it to my shop on numerous ocasions, but, with no codes, they are unable to see the problem in diagnostics.

About a month ago, the car started doing this more often, and, along with pre-safe, the check engine light comes on.

I took it to a Merecedes-Benz dealer, and the tech says the diagnostics are indicating that the car needs a valve-body. The car is in the shop now, awaiting my decision as to whether to do the work. My personal mechanic tells me that it is impossible to do this job for the $1100 quoted me by Benz, and have them put it back together and bring it to him. Apparentl;y, however, they have not disassembled the transmission. After Hurricane Irene, the problem happened more often, and I took it to Benz, but, without check engine nor pre-safe, and checking all modules, they found "no issues with the car", returned it to me, and two days later it goes into pre-safe almost every day now.

After reading your previous posts, I am curious as to whether this could be simply the valve body, without having to deal with the TCM. I asked them if this was a low-ball, and they assured me that the $1100 and the valve body replacement will solve the problem.

However, I am always weary of Mercedes-Benz dealers, having ownd 31 benzes over the past 25 years.

My mechanic says it's impossible, and I need to make a decision in the next 6 hours as to have the Dealer do the work, or take the car to my mechanic, who says it's impossible to fix this problem for $1100.

Please help with any suggestions.

Thank you, and I am happy to be a member of your forum. "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 05:40 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Post your vin # or PM it to me so I can look at your transmission in detail, I do not believe it is the valve body, unless you have the 722.9 transmission and then it would most certainly be a valve body job, your vin # will tell me if this car has the 722.6 or the 722.9 transmission.

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks so much. my mechanic kept mentioning the plastic compressor plate, but the Benz dealer makes no mention of that, and, the car was in for water getting inside 2 weeks ago, in an insurance claim from Hurrucane Irene, and all modules were found intact.

I'm simply weary, and my mechanic said no way can they do that job for $1100, but, they insist that they can, and that it is simply the valve body.

LOL...that's why I don't go to dealers, but, they are bending over backward for me, as I buy a great number of cars from them for my clients...I also sell and lease Benzes for a living.

Thank you for responding to me.

Last edited by formula1monaco; 10-05-2011 at 05:59 AM. Reason: I wanted to delete my VIN for privacy
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
what is PM?

Last edited by eric242340; 10-05-2011 at 05:51 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 05:53 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula1monaco View Post
what is PM?
Sorry, you are new to this. Click on my avatar and it will take you to my profile and then click on contact info, there you can click on Private message and send me the vin # that way, only you and me can see it.

ERIC.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 06:01 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula1monaco View Post
My VIN is WDBNG84J26A480398

Thanks so much. my mechanic kept mentioning the plastic compressor plate, but the Benz dealer makes no mention of that, and, the car was in for water getting inside 2 weeks ago, in an insurance claim from Hurrucane Irene, and all modules were found intact.

I'm simply weary, and my mechanic said no way can they do that job for $1100, but, they insist that they can, and that it is simply the valve body.

LOL...that's why I don't go to dealers, but, they are bending over backward for me, as I buy a great number of cars from them for my clients...I also sell and lease Benzes for a living.

Thank you for responding to me.
OK you have the 722.6 and this is unlikely to be the valve body but more likely the electronics plate that sits above the valve body, the electronics plate holds the input and output turbine speed sensors and this is the part that goes wrong.

Read the following links, the conductor plate needs to be changed and at the same time change the electrical connector, your mechanic will understand this so show it to him;

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...ml#post3538903

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...sion-plug.html

ERIC.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help and advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in