Mercedes 190E auxiliary fan issue - fans will only work with the air conditioner on? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Mercedes 190E auxiliary fan issue - fans will only work with the air conditioner on?

Please help. I have a 1993 Mercedes Benz 190E. It has had it's fair share of issues over the years, and the past 5 months I have put more money into it than the car is worth, one problem after another. The latest was a new radiator, heater core that blew apart, entire bracket structure behind front grill fell apart, etc etc. Point is, after the new radiator was replaced, then all the radiator hoses went, and finally all seemed fine...for awhile. Then the car kept visibly overheating, radiator needle pushing 100 Turns out, the auxiliary fans behind the front grill are not "kicking on" when the y shoud at a certain temperature. Thought it was the fan relay switch, but that is new also, plus the fans do work, but only with the air conditioner running? Pulled out the blue temperature sensor and the fans went on? Put the sensor back in a minute later, and fans kicked off!! I had all three sensors replaced, stilll the car will just overheat and the fans will not go on no matter how hot the engine gets!! In order to avoid blowing a head gasket, I have to keep the air conditioner on the entire time I drive the car!! I drve 40 minutes each way to work, and the car eats gas anyway because the oil ends up burning into the gas itself (another problem but do not want to spend thousands more on the car). So, that is my problem...I have to drive with the a/c on at all times! If I don't, the auxiliary fans will never go on at all. This is crazy! Also had fuses checked and replaced. Please, any help or advice?? Am spending over $22 a day in gas because of this issue. PLUS, new issue too as of 3 days ago...entire car is vibrating when it is on, when driven, constant vibrating and sounds ike a turbo jet ready fo rtakeoff. Do I need a new fuel filter? New air filter? No idea!! BUT my prmary concern is the fact that I have to keep the a?c on just so that the car doesn't get to hot! Please respond, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 08:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
You said if you pull the sensor out the fans work. What if you just unplug the switch, what happens then?

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
If I unplug the switch, fans don't work. Car has 2 relays, I tried replacing both, but they were both fine to begin with. The 3red sensor in the back, the black one, was totally shot, spinning around doing nothing. Couldn't determine what was going on so replaced all 3 snesors to be on the safe side. But the weird part was removing that blue sensor inthe middle - the minute I took it out for a split second the fans went on.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 09:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydakota View Post
The 3red sensor in the back, the black one, was totally shot, spinning around doing nothing.
Could you clarify that, especially the "spinning" around part?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
The black sensor was completely detached, it was doing virtually nothing. So as I said, I replaced all 3 sensors. It just doesn't make sense, the fans themselves are fine, but even with the new temperature sensor they don't realize they need to turn on. That's why I can only drive the car with the a/c running the entire time. The radiatr gage sensor isn't working on the radiator resevoir, it's dtached too, but i know that only acts as an alert to let you know when the fluid is low, am I correct? It has nothing to do with the temperature. The car has huge issues, vacuum leaks besides. It's a mess, but I cant afford anything new so I keep pouring money into it.'
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 10:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Any chance you could post a photo of the sensor that, when removed, causes the fans to kick on as well as the one that's spinning?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 03:25 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 190e 1.8
Find your receiver dryer front left corner of engine bay should have a pressure switch on it disconnect it and bridge the wiring to it with a fuse should be spade connectors. Now it thinks the ac is on and will run the fans. Sounds like your electro magnetic clutch isn't locking the engine fan either as it shouldn't overheat with auxiliary fans off I would check that by seeing if the fan is locked when the engines hot. If it's not the thermotime switch is open circuit and making the circuit to engage your engine fan.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 08:50 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2016
Vehicle: 1991 190e 2.3
When I jumped the switch my fan is still not working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in