A "Hey Y'all" from the ATL: New member from Atlanta area: 2001 E-430 sedan - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 2001 E-430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
A "Hey Y'all" from the ATL: New member from Atlanta area: 2001 E-430 sedan

Greetings Benz devotees. I am a new member living in the Atlanta (GA) south metro area (Newnan). I have a silver 2001 E-430 4 door sedan that I purchased from Mercedes Benz of South Atlanta in June of 2003. The car had 22K miles on it and they offered their StarMark 100K mile (extended) warranty. I have driven the car for 8 years and currently have 165K miles on it. The car has been relatively trouble free. Besides regular maintenance I have had the following issues: 1. Rt front wheel bearing replaced at 30k under warranty. At 60K had problem with motor and trans mounts/replaced under warranty (trans was serviced at that time). Other non warranty issues include: Radiator leak/replaced radiator, moon roof inoperable/new control unit, windshield wiper pump failed/replaced, Catyltic converter failed/replaced, brake pads front and rear/replaced, gas cap replaced, Ac unit blower maintence 2/3 times. Currently have an issue with transmission. Codes are P2502 and P220A. Car goes to shop on 9/26. More on that later. Up until about 2 years ago all the maintenance had been done at the dealership. Even after the expiration of the warranty. The service writer and I became friendly and I trusted what he suggested in terms of what needed to be done (and just as importantly what didn't). For 6 years he was the only person I dealt with. I felt he new the car and had the records to advise me on what needed to be done. I always felt I over paid for what the dealership did. After he left the dealership, I increasingly looked elsewhere for maintenance and advice. I am not beyond going back to the dealership if I have a problem that warrants their attention. Like a lot of people in this economy, I began about 2 years ago looking at my expenses on everything including servicing my car. I discovered that there are alternatives to paying a premium to the dealership for service. I am not a DIYer. The extent of my DIYer skills is changing a tire or replacing the air filter and windshield wipers. I do like to be knowledgable in order to make the decision as to who I have work on the car. I have been known to show up at a shop with parts and supplies. That's all for now. JT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 12:38 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in