post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I am proud to be part of the forum

Hi all,

First Sorry for my intro post being so long but I am excited about my NEW (but used) Mercedes Benz ML500 2006 model. and love being able to share that here.

THANK YOU SO MUCH Benzworld and all its contributors for providing me valuable info each day as I researched each question that I had on the ownership of a Mercedes Benz that is used, 5 years old and not cheap to run.

Some posts that I read I took heed to very well. Some informative posts I chose to ignore .
Funny how the posts that say "get a 500ml because gas mileage is only a mile or 2 better than the 350ml" made more sense to me than posts that say the ml350 holds its value better selective reading is an art

One of your posts taught me about buy-back vehicles (I didn't know that meant a lemon law car) and stopped my interest in one advertised ML350.

If I can share anything in return here on Benzworld it would be to take any used car that you are really interested in buying to a 3rd party mechanic for a full diagnostic test and report on the vehicle. This pre purchase inspection (PPI) saved me a boatload of money even though I shelled out $500 on a few different cars being tested including the car I eventually settled on.
I realize this is probably a "obvious" statement but it is easy to think a car looks good and ignore the advice. Especially because each time you do it costs money.

There is no need to disclose which mechanic you will use to the dealer before the test results come back. I have heard cases where the dealer knows where you are going to take the car for a PPI and then makes a call to strike a deal with a mechanic for a good report.
Not saying that happened to me or where, when or who has done this but I believe anything to be possible in a used car market. So I adjusted my buyers pitch accordingly.

However, dealers have lied straight to my face about cars that they said had "never been in accidents , here look at the carfax report" but the PPI proved otherwise.
BTW Carfax only displays cars that had accidents reported not ones that were fixed privately. It was a shock to me how many cars out there had problems that are not disclosed or I would not have gone through so many PPI reports.
One car needed $9000 of repairs that couldn't be seen with the naked eye on the dealers lot.

My new (used) ML500 is my beauty and the beast. I think it is the hottest looking SUV on the road and it performs like a beast.
I love this shape that is on its way out now and prefer it to the 2012 ml shape coming in. I often need a few years to get used to the shape of the new Mercedes. I remember as a kid someone saying to me that I liked older Mercedes shapes because Merc builds shapes ahead of its time. With this reasoning I should be ready for the new ML shape in a few years
I still prefer the 05 06 C-Class to the new C-Class. I haven't become a fan of the square lights at the back, YET.

Thanks Again BenzWorld.Org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 02:41 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in