post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Aug 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
212d sprinter

Well here I am on Benzworld.

Over the last year I have been toying with a 97 212d sprinter. Like many, the van (Bazil the campervan) has power problems.

Various pronlems have been tackled over the last year.

Suspension ball joint
Siezed injector
Leaking head gasket
Intermittent EDC light
Internittent power loss.

We ran ours about 3000 miles with the leak without any problem. We topped up with Mercedes coolant/water mix, about 1 liter every 1000 miles. Judging by the corrsion on a bolt below the leak the previous owner had done the same.
This leak is hard to spot, you need a torch. I only spotted it with the van on ramps with the engine running, looking upwards while lying undeneath the engine. Every minute or so there was a small drip.
Because this was just coolant leaking, when I checked the van out prior to buying there was no oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil. The leak only came to light when the LOW COOLANT light started comming on when going round corners, about a month later.

Bazil went to our local independent garage. Injector rebuild, head gasket and EDC light came to £1700. The head gasket alone would have been nearly a grand so we went the whole hog and got the lot done.

The EDC light problem was the engine stop relay not operating and letting the engine run on when the ignition was turned to not on (sorry, the letter between E and G dosen't work on this computer). The power loss remains.

Bazil has an air leak in the _uel line (guess the missing letter). We are chasing this down and hope that when eliminated it will go some way to restoring power.

It seems to us that the leak is around the _uel _ilter so the supply and return _uel line sections have been replaced (£10) where they join the _ilter housing, along with the _uel _ilter. The air leak is still there but not as bad. Time to start splitting the lines and using an old plastic water container as a diesel (_uel) tank to eleminate pipework sections. In a van this age there may well be more than one leak.

We will perservere because Bazil is a great campervan and when he is going properly he is a pleasure to drive. Just now on a local steep Scottish hill the van will slow to 35 but on the level will hold 60 to 65. Enough to tour with. When working properly he will charge up the same hill at 70+. Even with power down managed the a tour around the highlands without annoying too many road users. My missus is co-owner so the inside has been well sorted.

Should we come up with anything we think will help others we will post it.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 03:35 AM
Outstanding Contributor
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one."
- George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: