post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 10:52 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 1991 300E
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000e55 View Post
He told me it would take 2 weeks to feel the tune.
Love that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 98 E300
(Thread Starter)
Profile updated.

I hadn't noticed the no refunds for software boilerplate on Speedtuning's site when I purchased, no. The thing is they did in fact give me a refund, then turned around and requested a new amount in a manner that would give me no recourse.

After a few more phone discussions with Oliver this past week, their offer is this: Pay the $375 and have my ECU returned with stock software. I tried to offer $199 as in their 06 model year and older group buy. No go with the owner Jennifer Bentson.

What they are offering: Oliver says he has currently a much more updated tune file for my car, one he's comfortable that it includes the idle quality countermeasures - BUT he says that he would wait until he happens upon a local customer with a 98 or 99 E300 that he can personally test the tune on, saying he doesn't want to risk going back and forth with shipping dealing with my feedback. So, the way he puts it to me, their position is that in exchange for $375 I'd be getting this not ready for prime time tune when it's refined at some undetermined point in the future for free. He kept emphasising "free". Of course I will have paid them with no recourse (cash, western union) so all they would have to do is not answer my calls and I'd have ended up paying the $375 they want for my stock ECU.

Is anyone familiar with the time/effort/charge to code a used ECU to a 98 model E-class?

Last edited by dieselndust; 09-11-2011 at 12:39 AM.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 98 E300
(Thread Starter)
Now this makes sense: Answered my Own Question

Now that I have for good reason (unless I like my engine jumping around and wearing out the engine mounts) rejected the Speedtuning tune for my E300, why does Speedtuning want $375 to return my now stock ECU back to me, $50 more than they charged for the tune that didn't work? Answer: Because they can. It's always more simple than it's made out to be, isn't it?

In researching I found that all of the used ECU's I can purchase WILL NOT work in mine and most other Mercerdes-Benz cars. As you probably already know, the ECU's in short time become permanently married to your particular car and are unusablewith any other Mercedes. Knowing this, really my only other solution barring a fair negotiation with Speedtuning is the $2400 Mercedes dealer route. That's it.

For those new to the brand, KNOW that the company you're dealing with will have this leverage on you and just as importantly, KNOW the personal and business ethics of the people you're dealing with as much as you possibly can before you do this business through the mail without a counter to stand on the other side of.

It's much more important to me that readers are fully aware of this than to take into consideration the personal wealth of aftermarket outfits like Speedtuning, and I'm certain that the folks running this business would not want for their friends, family and community to know the details of their uttermost lack of ethics in negotiating a solution.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 10:54 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 13 Fiat 500, 06 Suzuki, 04 MB CLK500C, 02 LR DII, 90 MB 560SEL, 90 MB 560 SEC.
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
You have some recourse at this point, but only with further research into costs.

What does a plane ticket and cab ride to their front door cost?

Do you have the exact numbers from your ECU written down so you can identify it?

If yes, and the cost is less than $ 375.00; go to their front desk and shove a shotgun in an employees' mouth. Tell either Jennifer or Oliver to bring you your ECU. Go home and install your ECU. Drive car.

Make sure your lawyer gets you a true jury of your peers. 12 car guys. Nobody will convict you.

Done.

1990 560 SEL (Hans) & 1990 560 SEC (Hugo), both built in 08/89 in 702 over 265. (My Fraternal Twins)
1987 560 SEC AMG in 122 Pearl Grey Metallic.
1994 S420 (Gunter), in 199 Blauschwartz; (Traded in on W220).
2001 S600L (Hannah), in 753 Tectite Gray Metallic; (Gone in 08/12).
1979 300 CD in robins egg blue; (Gone in 11/12).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in