Date registered: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 1990 Mercedes 190E 2.6L
Location: Southern California
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I'm Clay
Hello. I recently bought a 1990 190e 2.6L I Live in California and this is a California edition car.
I'm not really that much of a "car guy", but I am decent at figuring some things out and somewhat mechanically inclined. I mainly just work on my cars when I have to. In the case of this car, the labor cost for repair shops in California is so high that I would rather just take the time to work it out myself where I can.
Stuff I've "fixed" so far:
- replaced missing door handle
- replaced missing hood star
- replaced two different coolant temperature sensors
- replaced missing washer fluid nozzle
- a few minor broken interior things
- replaced burnt check engine bulb in the instrument cluster
- fixed the a/c blower motor (well, took it out and back in before discovering the separate fuse)
Stuff still to do:
- I've identified a coolant leak and ordered a replacement hose
- I've identified a leak in a transmission cooling hose and ordered a replacement
- I'll have to do a fluid drain and replacement for each of the above when I replace them
- Check Engine light is on with the error code of 11, for the air injection system. I'm currently stumped on this one and I can't register the car in California until I get this solved. This AIR system seems to be specific to CA models and I can't find info for it in any of the online manuals. I started a thread on this issue in the W201 forum.
- I can only unlock the car from the passenger door or else it sets off the factory alarm. I bought a remote start & keyless entry system. I just have to install it.
- I'd like to get a subwoofer/amplifier. The PO had one but took it out when he sold it. It is still wired for an easy hookup. Low priority for me, though.
- I'd like to re-paint the side panels and bumpers.
- A/C blows cold out the center but hot out the sides. I need to test and find the vacuum leak for this.
- This just came up the other day, but the passenger seat electric controls move the seat all over except forward. I had to move it backward to get at something and then it wouldn't move forward again. Not even any clicking or noises when I push the control button forward.
That is mostly it for now.