LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Dec 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
270 CDI handbrake shoes

Have just renewed the handbrake shoes on my 2001 270 CDI - and am now getting a metallic (wheel revolution co-ordinated) sound on both sides. The sound kicks in after starting off at about 10-15 mph. At slow speeds it is not apparant. It seems like a high spot and, as I say, is in time with the wheel revolutions. The sound is on both sides.
I have looked everywhere and cannot find why.
The shoes have been adjusted away from the drum and the noise is still there.
I thought the backplate might be catching ( as that is what it sounds like) - but no.
When turning the drum(s) by hand the drums turn freely (shoes adjusted "off" with only an minimal brake shoe drag) and I cannot reproduce the noise by hand turning either drum (both with and without the wheel fitted.)
Backplate was cleaned meticulously before fitting new shoes and all new springs were used. Mercedes bought shoe pack
I noticed that where the retaining spring (for the centre of shoe ) enters the backplate, there was corrosion around the spring retaining hole. Not excessive but enough to warn me to ensure I avoided the corroded area. I ensured that the spring was turned in such a way through 90 degrees to avoid the corroded part and engaged in sound metal
Other than that I can't think of anything untoward during the fitting except that they aren't the easiest of shoes to fit !!
Both the shoe adjuster and the expander acted upon by the cable, seem to be sitting correctly on the backplate and I had no difficulty refitting the drums.
On each wheel the the lining on the lower of the old shoes had disintigrated and was effectively bits of lining and dust !!!
I did carefully grind a slight lip off the drums to ensure smooth faces for the shoes to bite onto and for the drums to be refitted smoothly.
I am at a loss - any help would be much appreciated
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 07:02 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Have you looked at the W210 forum? Better to ask there instead of this generic forum.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: