post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2011
Vehicle: 1991 500SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
91 500SL Convertible Top Issues

I have a '91 500SL that seems to be having some issues with the top not thinking it is closed. I have checked the threads on this forum and I have not really seen one that address what I am experiencing, so let me start with what I have done.

The issue:
I had the hard-top on all winter/most of spring (Seattle Weather Sucks), and when I pulled the hard-top off, and when closing the soft top the red top button blinks and dings when you drive. However, when the top is closed and the vehicle not operational for a few hours I do not get these errors. It is only when the top is put up when the vehicle is "hot" (for lack of a better term) that the error occurs.

What I have done:
I have replaced the car battery because the last time I was at the local dealership they indicated that it needed replacing. I left it with the dealership as well to trouble-shoot the issue, 4 hrs labor at $140/hr., they believe that it is the Top Module 1298200097, but "are not really sure." The lack of confidence in trouble-shooting the issue makes me tentative throw $ after $ to educate the Mercedes Techs until they find the real issue.

I am not 100% convinced that this is the issue. They say they tested all of the sensors, but all were supposedly working properly and they did do a proper reset, so they claim they are good. I put the hard-top on again to see if I was going to have issues with it and did not have any issues.

I think it is a sensor issue, because I am not sure how a control module can be affected by the weight of the hard top, meaning I have no issues with errors when the hard top is on, but do when the soft top is up. I have checked all of the contacts when the soft top is up and they all are catching.

Before I spend a lot of money replacing the control module (used $900/new $2,100) I would appreciate additional insights to see if anyone else has had this type of issue and what their resolution was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in