LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
E350 wagon Manheim values - need help

I am a (hopefully) future MB owner, looking for a CPO 2008-09 E350 wagon. The dealer prices seem outrageous. If any of you have access to the Manheim database, could you please help me establish a baseline for my negotiations? The cars I have been looking at have 25-40K miles. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 12:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Your situation is a bit different in that W212 wagons are pretty rare and even rarer at auctions. Therefore, there probably isn't much of a Manheim database on them due to scarcity. Consider that even on ebay there are currently (as of a few minutes ago) only three such wagons and all three are 2011s.

People just don't seem to let their MB wagons go, which causes rather lopsided (or, as you put it, outrageous) values, simply because the supply isn't there while the demand usually is. A case in point are nearly 30-year-old W123 wagons that with low miles can clear nearly $20K.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks flyboyike. Seems like a classic issue of supply and demand, although there seems to be a lot of regional variability in asking prices.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 01:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
CPO is a fairly comprehensive (but not for cosmetics) warranty and ALL warranties are basically you paying in advance for anything required.

You can search the USA for these cars at cars.com, autotrader.com, vehix.com, etc. and find what you're looking for.

You'll find W211 wagons indeed very rare, as everyone buys SUVs these days.

I think my dealer never stocked any new ones, at least not since 2005 or so.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Kent. I have found a reasonable selection in the eastern US. Issue is that MB dealers seem to want $39-42K for CPO cars with < 40K miles, while non-MB dealers want only $33-35K for non-CPO cars with the same mileage. That is a significant difference.

I would feel comfortable buying a local non-CPO car that I could go over myself and take for an inspection, but not one from "Joe's Executive Motors" several states away. Hence my desire to determine what a CPO wagon is really worth.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
OK - here is an example of the madness. Just got an excited e-mail from the salesman at my local dealer. He is able to hook me up with a great deal on a 2009 E350 wagon, 33K miles, Premium I, CPO - for only (hope you are sitting down), $46,800!!! I know they are not that common, but I can get any number of similar 2009 E350 sedans around here for $36K.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 03:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by drspeedy View Post
OK - here is an example of the madness. Just got an excited e-mail from the salesman at my local dealer. He is able to hook me up with a great deal on a 2009 E350 wagon, 33K miles, Premium I, CPO - for only (hope you are sitting down), $46,800!!! I know they are not that common, but I can get any number of similar 2009 E350 sedans around here for $36K.
The sad thing is that's about right. The wagons traditionally command a 30-40% premium over the sedans and that figure increases with age and can reach almost 100% in some cases.

You haven't mentioned what part of the country you're in, but since post-W210 all the wagons have been 4Matics, they tend to run slightly more expensive in the snow belt, so you might want to look further South. Your mileage may vary, however.

If I may ask, why a wagon and why W212?

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyike View Post
The sad thing is that's about right. The wagons traditionally command a 30-40% premium over the sedans and that figure increases with age and can reach almost 100% in some cases.

You haven't mentioned what part of the country you're in, but since post-W210 all the wagons have been 4Matics, they tend to run slightly more expensive in the snow belt, so you might want to look further South. Your mileage may vary, however.

If I may ask, why a wagon and why W212?
Regarding the car, to each his own, I guess. I like the idea of the W211 wagon and enjoyed the day I spent with one. I prefer the looks of the new W212 wagon, but it is over budget. We already have one SUV and don't need a second. Would get an Outback, but want something higher quality, more luxurious, and less commonplace. Considered a CPO Audi A6 avant or a BMW 535xiT, but the MB has more room in back and is probably more reliable.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 05:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

If size isn't critical, have you considered a W203 C-class wagon? Being smaller, they don't seem to bring quite such insane prices as 211/212s. You'd still get the uncommonality factor, but with surprisingly good gas mileage and, if anything, better reliability than a 212 due to the 203's being considerably simpler.

Just a thought.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyike View Post
If size isn't critical, have you considered a W203 C-class wagon? Being smaller, they don't seem to bring quite such insane prices as 211/212s. You'd still get the uncommonality factor, but with surprisingly good gas mileage and, if anything, better reliability than a 212 due to the 203's being considerably simpler.

Just a thought.
Thanks for the suggestion, but the C-class wagons were not imported after 2005. I am getting rid of an '04, and wanted something newer. If MB imported a W204 C300/350 wagon, I would be all over it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in