post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 94' C220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Power steering reservoir location for 94' C220

My C220 has recently started making the whiney noise while turning. I'm assuming it has to do with power steering? Can anyone tell me where I can find the reservoir to check if i need more fluid? I'm not very car savvy.

Also, off topic, I noticed something is making a rattling sound when I idle now. This is a very recent occurrence.

Help??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 10:31 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 1991 300E
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, the W202, the model series you have, was introduced in 1993 and came to the US in 1994. However, this site seems to acknowledge it only beginning in 1995. Somehow that doesn't seem right.

Nonetheless, you might do well to ask your question in the W202 C-Class Discussion Forum. I'm guessing that there weren't big changes in the engine and other items under the hood from 1994 to 1995.

More to the point of your question: You might try simply going to the full-service pump at a good service station and ask that they check the power-steering fluid and watch while they do it. If it is low, consult your owner's manual for the correct type to use in topping it off and don't over fill. However, I'm venturing a guess that it's more likely a loose belt and/or a loose mounting of the power-steering pump. Ask the attendant to give the pump a good shake and wiggle the belts if the fluid checks out ok. If anything's egregiously loose, it'll be readily apparent. While they're under the hood, with you watching, you should ask them to show you how to check the oil and transmission fluid also. Tipping the attendant a few bucks is appropriate for this level of attention.

A session under the hood with someone generally knowledgeable about cars could be very helpful to you.

Regardless of if it's fluid or loose items, you would do well to take your car to a trusted independent mechanic who is experience with Mercedes for service. Fluid shouldn't just disappear; if it's low there's probably a leak. Belts and pumps can come loose over time, but proper tension is important.

Welcome to BenzWorld. Enjoy your car. Please take the time to complete your profile, including year, model and location. That information can be very helpful to those who might offer help in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in