Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2001 e320 4matic wagon wheel bearing question

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  giovara 
#1 ·
Hello and thank you for your time. I have a 2001 E-320 4matic wagon. It has a roar coming from the front of the car. I think it is my front right wheel bearing. I have been searching online for a price on a bearing but Im getting two different answers for which type of bearing I have. Some people tell me its a one piece bearing and others are telling me it is a two piece bearing. Does anyone know for sure which type of bearing I have? Thank you and I appreciate any help you can give me.

#5 ·
I recently had both front axles replaced and the roar started shortly after. I dont really hear it until I get to about 40mph then when I let off the gas I will hear it all the way until I roll to a stop. The wagon has 190k miles. When I turn to the right while up to speed it sounds like it gets louder.

#6 · (Edited)
Easy test for the CV joints is making sharp turn on parking lot.
I never had wheel bearing failure on MB and I do/did own lot of them. From last Fiat bad bearing I remember that the noise is constant and usually I could hear it better at low speeds, when vehicle noise is lower. Those noises can be pretty hard to pinpoint, so be patient. Why did you replace axles before and are they new, or rebuild?

#7 ·
The cv's were popping on sharp turns in both directions thats why I replaced them both. They were new from a company I found on ebay. They were $150 for the set with both axles. Thats pretty cheap for both axles but I was hoping to find a cheap fix because funds are very low right now. Im hoping its not just a crummy axle causing the sound. After the axles went in everything was fine for about a week or two and then I started hearing a faint roar from the front. Sounds like right front to me. Started off where I could barely hear it then over a period of about 600-700 miles it now is very noticeable. The roar is similar to the sound of the engine when it is at high RPM. When I first heard it I thought I hit the tiptronic and it was in the wrong gear but after listening I realized it was a road noise and not the engine at all. It doesn't start until I hit around 30-40mph then I can put the engine in neutral and hear it til I roll all most to a stop. Sounds like it gets louder when I turn to the left. My neighbor and I put the axles in and they were not easy to get in and out. I was thinking maybe we messed up the bearing while banging around in there or something. Im thinking it could be either a crummy axle, bearing, or hopefully not the transfer case. Do you know what the symptoms of a bad transfer case would be?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.