To factory collection or not... - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: W211 (320 CDI Sport, COMAND, Parktronic, Leather). W202(C180), W210(E200, E200k), W211(E240)]
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
To factory collection or not...

Just ordered my 2012 E220 Avantgarde 125 Edition and I really like the idea of factory collection that includes factory tour (I'm based in the south of the UK). I'll also plan a visit to the Mercedes Benz Museum in Stuttgart.

I've never driven outside the UK and on the *wrong* side of the road so I'm a little apprehensive of driving back, but the thought of the experience outweighs any doubt.

The order (subject to September collection) also includes COMAND Online (125 Edition promotion) and extra DAB radio module. I've read mixed reviews about DAB radios in cars so I'm more than happy to report back with real life us as I really hope I've not wasted £335 on the option.

I had a play with outgoing COMAND's Linguatronic a few weeks ago in the dealership and it did not understand a word I said so hopefully the software in COMAND Online is upgraded or it learns during prolonged use.

In making my decision I test drove the new A6. The A6 is a great car and has some nicer bits in the cabin but as I'm on my 4th E and 5th Mercedes I found myself constantly comparing and felt that I'd be cheating myself if I went elsewhere. At the same time I realised that the Mercedes brand team have done a fantastic job over the last zillion years sucking me in.

During my research process (where I pretended to myself that I was looking at other brands) I could not find absolute answers to the below so I'll provide an update post-delivery.

* Is DAB any good, especially in the UK.
* Is Linguatronic any good.
* Is the launch 'online' content of COMAND Online of any good.
* Will more 'online' content become available as implied in the dealership and if so what and when.
* How well does COMAND Online integrate to my BlackBerry.
* Is the on-screen keyboard of COMAND Online frustrating to use.
* How good is iPod integration.
* Is the new colour dashboard module included in UK 2012MY W212.
* How cool is factory collection.
* How good is the MB Museum tour.
* Will I regret going for black leather again as I'm not 100% sure of the other colours.
* Will I regret going for Obsidian black *again* as I quite liked Indium and Tenorite greys but dealer paint-job swatch was too small.
* Will I regret ultimately having to wave goodbye to my 2007MY E320 CDI sport and return to 4 cylinders.

I'll try to take photos of the experience and publish in due course. I'm also happy to capture any other query as I'm quite excited as this is my first ever 'ordered from new' car so feel free to direct message me if there is anything else.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 05:22 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Not sure about the newest rendition of linguatronic but on the older ones we have to "train" it to learn our voice. Your questions are best for the W212 forum, found in the sedans section. Welcome to BW and good luck!

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: W211 (320 CDI Sport, COMAND, Parktronic, Leather). W202(C180), W210(E200, E200k), W211(E240)]
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thank you. (I'll put my feedback in the W212 along with my real life feedback of DAB.) Looking forward to end of September collection now.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: