Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

DIY ABC REAR STRUT - '01 S600 - Please Help

4K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  TheGrandmaDee 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello:

I have spent several hours searching the site for instructions, a diagram, or any other DIY assistance for replacing a rear ABC strut on a 2001 S600.

I have not been able to find anything at all, The disassembly of the lower components are very straightforward, but I have mnot a clue as to how the top of the strut detaches.

Also, are ther any specific instructions on preparation for potential high pressure fluid that anyone knows of? I will, of course, have containers and cloth rags ready, and be undoing connections slowly, but there is nothing in writing or diagrams that I find as to specifics or preparation. Special bleeding procedures after??

Any and all comments, suggestions, photos, diagrams or, any direction to an appropriate website would be very much appreciated.

BTW, I have found rebuilt, lifetime guaranteed struts for $545. which is approx. 1/3 the cost of new MB. That was really good news for me, on a budget.

Thanks much,

Tom

See less See more
#2 ·
I have NO personal experience of this task, but I could post the relevant pages from my WIS that cover this procedure. However, I'm not sure that it would be useful for you, as I have just read the following:

"Before removal, depressurize AIRmatic components (spring struts, valve units, central reservoir) using STAR diagnostics. The components must not be emptied by unscrewing pressure lines". The pressure added later is only 5psi, with the rear wheels off the ground.

These WIS instructions are intended for qualified MB workshop mechanics, so a comprehensive metric tool kit including torque wrenches is assumed.

If you want to continue, and as you have a W220 Class, would you please re-post this question in that forum as it is the appropriate place for a technical question like this.

#3 ·
These WIS instructions are intended for qualified MB workshop mechanics ...
And in addition, it's a copyright violation to post them on the Internet and doing so jeopardizes the continued existence of the forum.

But they are for sale by Mercedes to anyone
Star Service CDs and DVDs

And, I'll again post my philosopy as regards the S-class: if you can't afford to own a new you can't afford to own a used one either.

#8 ·
DIY S600 Rear Strut ... Not what I (anyone) thought

Hello:

Thank you VERY much for all of your kind responses, comments, and suggestions, regarding the ABC rear driver's side failure on my S600.

As I mentioned, I was driving uneventfully home from a trip whem, after filling at a gas station, my rear driver's tire suddenly went all the way to nearly the inner fender housing.

The car was not rubbing except on bumps and it was Thruway travel, so I continued my trip home 500 miles.

Upon arrival and mchecking the normal fluid level, no leaks, etc. it was a mystery.

The dealer wanted to change the strut right off ($1400.+) and, said probably the rear valve block as well ($1000.+). I mentioned that the other three wheels raised and lowered correctly and that the 'accordian strut cover' was not warm to the touch or "squishy" as it would be if full of fluid (Internal Leak).

Received many kind suggestions and spent 4-6 hours with the wheel and inner fender cover off "starrng" at the assembly.

The situation, suddeness, lack mof leak, lack of other symptoms and, probably the hessitation to slap at least $3,000. down, kept me thinking without tearing things apart.

Turns out it was a good thing.

WAY back, inside and behind the strut base is the strut sensor arm. This arm attaches to the lower control arm frame at the bottom and to a lever on an electric sensor box at the top. It is very, very difficult to see. The sensor box sits on a small 3" x 3" shelf that is bolted to the frame.

A small flake of black paint and 1/16" of shiny metal on the shelf frame caught my eye.

Apparently, the car hit one heck of a pot hole and the lower control arm "toped out" by striking the Sensor box shelf, bending it upward 2". This in turn made the car "think" the wheel (allowing an additional inch for angle) was 3 inches lower then it really was...

Bad design not having any rubber "pad" or other stop to minimize damage from a pothole in my opinion.

Unbolted the bent sensor "shelf" and using measurment from the shelf on the passenger side, I placed it in a vise and squeezed it straight and correct.

Bolted it back on the car, put the wheel on and.... works perfect.

In seeing where, and how this sensor shelf is mounted, it IS GOING TO GET HIT and it IS going to get BENT, EVERY TIME the car hits a nasty pothole.

If you own a Mercedes with an ABC system, please keep thgis in mind.

Thanks, Thomas

#9 ·
Apparently, the car hit one heck of a pot hole and the lower control arm "toped out" by striking the Sensor box shelf, bending it upward 2". This in turn made the car "think" the wheel (allowing an additional inch for angle) was 3 inches lower then it really was...
Good catch! :) That was the rear level sensor that got moved. It sounds like it could be protected a bit better. but you must avoid going into those potholes...:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.