Date registered: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 1998 SLK, 1999 C230
Location: Lexington, KY
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1998 SLK / 1999 C230 - checking out how to do some of my own repair work
Lexington, KY - - Cars are getting older (so am I), but I still like for everything to work. I've been searching the forums for help with my 1999 C230 and 1998 SLK.
Bought 1999 C230 Smoke/Silver new in 1999. Only have 37K miles so far. I added an after market trunk mounted CD changer in 2001. Garage kept. My first Benz.
There have been a few problems over the years;
- Car was 2 wks old and starter circuit board died. Had to wait a month for new part to be shipped from Germany.
- Car was 3 months old and battery died.
- Replacing second exterior rear view mirror because spring hook broke off. Cast metal hook just isn't strong enough. These mirror parts are expensive. Doing my own install takes back a bit of the repair cost sting.
- Working on clock and odometer pixel repair. Dealer repair estimate is $1500. Going to try to fix this myself. Already ordered new cables, waiting for them to arrive.
Bought used 1998 SLK White in 2005. Car had 50K miles. Now 6 years later, milage is 81K. Garage kept. Very pleased with buying this used car. Should have bought an SLK for my first Benz. Live and learn. I owned a '95 Miata before and really liked having a convertible. I had the removable hardtop for winter time. The retractable hardtop SLK really appealed to me. I eventually found a good deal on a SLK and I've been happy ever since. I love being able to lower the roof quickly. Nephew is hoping I'll save this car for him.
- Reading forum threads about peeling interior paint on console. Mine is black so the problem isn't as bad as light colors, but I may research this topic more.
- Need to research passenger side seat belt tensioner issue.
- Would love to remove analog phone from center console and install a 12V power feed for keeping my BlackBerry charged.
- Need to replace passenger side door speaker. Sounds ok most of the time, but turning up the volume tells me the speaker cone is probably torn.