BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2011
Vehicle: 2003 CLK 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Car Stereo Swap

Hi everyone I am a total newbie, so please be gentle...lol
I just bought a 2003 CLK500, beautiful car, what a machine. BUT, I want to upgrade the stereo. I want to take out the cassette deck and cd changer and put something in with Bluetooth and ipod integration. I am told the unit is fiberoptic making this very difficult. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would really appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 11:05 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 1991 300E
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 02:44 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 2005 CL65 AMG, 2007 Ferrari F430
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You can put in any head unit with a proper kit. We have them, and several other places have them (probably online only though, as it is a specialty item). If your car has the COMAND Nav system, you will need to replace the amplifier (and possibly spekaers if not matched properly). You will also need to wire from head unit to amp.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
I will be in the Atlanta area with the car next weekend. My family lives in the Lawrenceville / Dacula area. Is this something you stock? If so, I just may visit you and see what we can come up with. I really appreciate the information. I was getting nowhere here in my hometown. Was hearing nothing but horror stories.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 07:07 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

No, not something we stock in Atlanta (as Americans rarely are interested in full modification of a Mercedes). We do stock it in Europe.
Next week is too soon to plan a project like this. You would need to have your stereo picked out (we don't sell regular car stereos). Then plan what would be needed. It would be better to work with us and your local shop to plan it all out.

We also have a COMAND PRO that can be put in your car (again stocked in Europe). You can see the details of it, if you pick 2005 E Class on our site. It is a drop in replacement, but takes us about 3 - 4 weeks to get one. We have to add it to the ones we get for all the ML and E Class. It costs way to much to send just one over, so needs to be combined with our bigger orders.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 09:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Don't replace the Mercedes headunit. With the Bose amp, it gives the best look and sound for the car. What does your 2003 headunit look like? Post a picture or describe it. A member found a simple way to add 2 wires to the cassette player's outputs so any mp3 player will work.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...00-2002-a.html
There's also a cheap way to add an HD radio receiver, too, depending on the dash of the car.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...r-car-kit.html
There's no solution for adding bluetooth though.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 12:37 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

There IS a solution for bluetooth with ALL D2B Mercedes (which this one is).... The Argos module has sold literally thousands and works perfect!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
:Thanks for the info guys. I found a local stereo shop that was right on top of things. He is using a product from Denson for the iPod, and we are just going to do a portable visor clip bluetooth piece to keep things simple. It won't require changing the head unit or amp from what he tells me. So I am happy.

I do not have the Command system, it is the cassette deck in the dash and the 6 disk changer in the glovebox. There are Bose speakers though. Great sounding system, just wanted to ne able to use the iPod, the Bluetooth was more of a luxury than a necessity.
Thanks again, I'm sure i will have more questions as my ownership of this great machine continues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in