HELP!! '03 C240 Shaking at Idle, Slow Acceleration! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jun 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
HELP!! '03 C240 Shaking at Idle, Slow Acceleration!

Purchased a used '03 C240 2 years ago. Ran fine, about 8 months in began to tremble when at rest/idling- both with and without brake on. To a non-knowledgeable me, feels as though something is misfiring...but what do I know?!

Took to Mercedes dealer, they couldn't identify a cause to fix but did other maintenance work ($1500). I brought it back to them again 2 weeks later, as shaking seemed to be worse (you could see car was shaking from outside te car), and now occasionally the check engine light would come on intermittently...sometimes just for 10 mins, sometimes longer. Left it with them again for several days, again they said they couldn't find anything definitive to cause the shaking at idle, but thought it worth trying to so several other things like replace engine mount, change hoses, whatever. No difference. I don't doubt that they did work both times, but from my perspective I was without my car and out of pocket and still having the same issue afterward that brought me in in the first place.

I figure of all people to know what is wrong, Mercedes dealer should...and have been reluctant to take elsewhere for additional opinions due to cashflow and worry someone may mess things up further.

Fortunately, I drive this car very little so mileage on whatever's going on with it is fairly limited...although still shaking, the check engine light had stopped going on as often.

Fast forward a year...took to a garage recommended to me for oil change, they also said I needed other work done...coils, plugs? I'll have to look back at receipt- my husband had taken it in.

Ran same as usual initially a week later my check engine light has been coming on again, and now in addition to the trembling, I have been noticing VERY slow acceleration...I'm putting my foot to the floor when pulling out of parking lots into regular city traffic, etc.

Can anyone help??? Similar experiences? What I should look into??? How on earth can the dealer not tell something is wrong with the car or know what to do to fix it??

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 12:10 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jun 2011
Vehicle: 2001 C240 Mercedes ,2008 Harley-Davidson fxdl,2001 SuperDuty Diesel pick-up
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well,just my .02 here,I have a 2001 C240 it acted the exact same way.Turns out I had a intermittant #3 coil concern.Also check to make sure the W/S switch by the shifter is in S mode.The W mode is for wet or slick conditions and the vehicle starts in second gear.There is the indicator in the instrument panel for that.
I am a dealership tech,and I can tell you from people that I see come and go,that just because a guy works at a dealer,does not mean he knows all about the brand he works for.
I don't know if any of this helps,......just sayin'
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: