Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

problems with a 1999 W202

893 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  DirectLA 
#1 ·
All problems seem to be electrical. The first is with the fuel gauge. If the tank is filled, the gauge drops to empty and the reserve light can stay on. Driving 400 kilometres the gauge does not move, but switch off the engine and restart, the gauge now read 3/4 full. Drive another 150 kilometres and the car runs out of fuel but the gauge shows that the tank is half full.

Second problem is with the fresh air / aircon fan. Even with the fan switch off, when you start the car the fan and also the aircon. will come on. Turning the switch you will get to the second fan position where the fan will not get any stronger the higher you go. I suspect that at this position she is running at maximum. Sometimes when you get in the car and start it the fan behaves itself, but more often than not, it does not.

Third problem that has only happened once due to very little rain here and that is when I put the windscreen wipers on full, it did a couple of fast sweeps before going into intermittent mode.

Do I have a computer problem?

#2 ·
I am not sure about the first two but the last one sounds like a combination switch which is known to go out on our cars and cause these little issues. Are you absolutely sure it;s more of a "mode" issue and not the wiper stuttering or getting hung up? They have a plastic worm gear that gets worn if the cam isn't lubed regularly or if it fights against any pressure like the weight of snow or ice when the wiper is turned on. Please consider re-posting this in the W202 forum so you can get specific advice quicker.

W202 C-Class - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.