Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Need help with transmission issue...

662 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  DirectLA 
#1 ·
I have a 1998 SLK230 with 80k mi. 3 weeks ago I'm parked on a 10 degree incline, nose up, over night. I go to drive off in the morning and cannot get out of first gear. I stop the car a mile away and move the shifter from drive back to park, then back to drive. When I shift back into drive there's a slight thud as the gear engages. I repeat the process 3-4 times, still getting the thud, when suddenly there's a smooth shift and off I go, however, the "check engine" light is on and stays on for a couple hours before disappearing. Since then I've parked at my usual spot and all seems fine.... until.... I park on the same incline location as before and the problem raises it's ugly head again. This time I don't drive off as far and was able to get the car back to normal shifting after a few attempts at moving the shifter back and forth. I'm not familiar with the "limp mode", but this seems hardly the issue given the abnormal jolt, albeit slight, that I've experienced. Perhaps I'm wrong. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

#2 ·
FIrst you have to get a scanner on it and see what code is being set for the check engine light. Sounds like a conductor plate issue thats located on top of the valvebody. Could be anything until you have the codes looked at. Get a scanner on it and also have the fluid level checked. Those transmissions leak constantly from the electrical connector pilot bushing

#3 ·
That is perfect advice, and most likely you are low on fluid (which you probably cannot easily check if the SLK is anything like the W202 with no transmission dipstick). Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.