post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 1983 300D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bit by the manual transmission bug

I loved my '91 560SEL. It was a fabulous car in almost every conceivable way, but I sold it last winter because I just couldn't stand driving a car with an automatic transmission.

I'm currently driving a very nice Volvo V70, but I'm missing all the things from my 560 that make a Mercedes so great.

There are so many beautiful E/S class from around the turn of the millennium that are right in my budget, as gas prices seem to have deflated the price of V8 vehicles (and boosted the value of my 30+mpg Volvo). Nevertheless, I know I won't be happy with a car equipped with an automatic. And I don't want a BMW or an Audi; I want a Mercedes-Benz.

Has anyone here personally attempted a manual swap on the W210, W140, or R129? Is there any reasonable way to get the ECU to accept the missing automatic transmission?

I've got images of an E320 wagon with a 6-speed floating in my head....
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 11:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
add cdi engine with 4Matic and you have my dream car.
Sad part they sell for pennies in UK.. not sure about manual transmissions, but I am pretty sure they are available.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 04:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Originally Posted by marshcat View Post
Has anyone here personally attempted a manual swap on the W210, W140, or R129? Is there any reasonable way to get the ECU to accept the missing automatic transmission?
The R129 300SL was available with 5spd even in the US.

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 02:43 PM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: May 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The only swap I have seen that has a problem is on a BMW, all the japanese and domestic have not mattered. I have a feeling the Mercedes may be similair to the BMW.

I know when you do a 5spd swap on a BMW (E30 in my experience) the car will run good for the first fifteen days or so, but as the automatic computer learns it starts to run worse an worse, disconnect the battery and reset it and it runs good again for another 15 - 20 days... If you install the 5 spd computer it runs perfect.

hope that helps, In my opinion I would still try it, I am going to build a standard E320, but I am going old school with a mechanical diesel... still tons of other electronic issues to address though.

98 Mercedes-Benz E320 (OM617/5 speed manual swap coming soon)
98' K2500 suburban Hino 4cyl Turbo Diesel, 5Spd 4X4
89' Toyota 4Runner 9" lift, 38.5's, Lockers, OBA, OM617 Turbo Diesel
99' Chevy Astro AWD 4" Drop, 17's
78' Chevy Corvette VB&P Suspension
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: