Date registered: May 2011
Vehicle: 2005 W203 C180K Classic sedan, 1991 BMW 318iS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm new to this forum thing and just learning the ropes.
My daily drive is a BMW 318iS but on the weekends, I like my W203 C180K Classic. They're both German cars yet worlds apart in character. The the Benz is like travelling along on a lounge suite - a very relaxing place to be but still, no slouch when you give it a prod while the Beemer turns you into a boy-racer every time you drive it!
I can find my way around circuit diagrams and electronics pretty well and I'm not afraid of swinging a spanner or two if I have to and I have to admit to being a bit of a 'petrol head' since boyhood. I've worn out my AF and Whitworth spanners restoring first an Austin Healy Sprite Mk 1 and then a Mk1 Cortina GT which included a pretty highly tuned and reworked engine and go-faster treatment in the geearbox and brake areas too.
I bought my metric spanners when I got a Nissan back in the '80s and hardly ever used them. Uninspiring as it was, I couldn't fault its reliability.
The spanners were still pretty good when I started my last project, a ground-up rebuild of a Fiat bambino - 500 which I did just for the fun of it and because I drove one of these things over most of North East Italy. I developed a profound respect for these very simple and stoic yet charming little things. It never failed to gather a crowd wherever I took it.
A smaller garage and a desire to move along technologically lead me to rationalise the fleet a bit now I only have the Benz and the Beemer. And I love them both.
The Beemer has been pretty reliable for the 10 years I've had it with only minor service work except for an unfortunate incident in which a piece of synthetic material (nylon clothing) stuck to the headers when I drove over it and caught fire. The damage was only superficial and confined to part of the engine bay ignition and wiring harness, cosmetic items and clutch hydraulics. I did the repair work using part of a salvaged wiring loom from a wreck and grafted it into the original. Paintwork was untouched.
More recently, the Benz has developed a bit of difficulty starting. Mostly after a few days without use and it starts perfectly for teh rest of the day thereafter. It just seems to keep cranking and eventually starts but only after a few backfires and rattling along the way hence my sojourn into this forum. A bit of research, I find, goes a long way to solving what are usually, pretty simple problems
Last edited by 180kompressor; 05-19-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Reason: I hit the wrong button while editing. like I said, I'm a rookie!