GLK 350 Transmission needs to be replaced at 10k miles - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Benznoob26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzejek View Post
Do you really think that a Factory trained mechanic would miss-diagnose a tranny problem for a wheel bearing problem? If you do, can I interest you in buying the Brooklyn Bridge?
Diagnosing is usually the most difficult part. From what the OP has told us it seems like the transmission is acting fine, but is making a noise similar to a wheel bearing. In that situation I would say YES, i do think the mechanic would. A lot of times mechanics have to push the "most likely" button, especially in this cause since I could think of 10 different parts that could makie a humming sound. Can I interest you in taking a few classes before trying to scare an owner?

Last edited by Benznoob26; 05-19-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 06:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Quote:
Trust but verify.

After the work was performed, if possible, have an independent mechanic verify that the tranny was actually replaced, and not just some small part. Plenty of stories where the work claimed by a stealer was actually not performed.

This really sounds suspicious to me -- first wheel bearings and now a tranny swap.
I am with Andrzejek.
Factory warranty is a source for easy income for the dealers. I am not saying that they will not replace the transmission. They will and since the car is new, no rusty bolts to break wrenches on, no worry about something else shattering because of age and even if something goes wrong (like misdiagnose wheel bearing) -nobody will sue you for the refund.
But guess what? Someone has to pay MB for warranty coverage.
IT IS NOT FREE MEAL
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 06:21 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 00 C-230, 04 C-240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benznoob26 View Post
Diagnosing is usually the most difficult part. From what the OP has told us it seems like the transmission is acting fine, but is making a noise similar to a wheel bearing. In that situation I would say YES, i do think the mechanic would. A lot of times mechanics have to push the "most likely" button, especially in this cause since I could think of 10 different parts that could makie a humming sound. Can I interest you in taking a few classes before trying to scare an owner?
"Trust but verify" is not a scare tactic!! And what classes are you referring to? "Consumer relations with Automotive Stealers 101" perhaps?

Having said that, don't you think the technician would first attempt to dignose and pinpoint the tranny problem (or wheel bearing) and attempt repair, instead of replacing the entire tranny? If the engine developed a problem, I'm sure the owner would not be told that he needs a new engine.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 06:39 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Quote:
"Trust but verify" is not a scare tactic!! And what classes are you referring to? "Consumer relations with Automotive Stealers 101" perhaps?

Having said that, don't you think the technician would first attempt to dignose and pinpoint the tranny problem (or wheel bearing) and attempt repair, instead of replacing the entire tranny? If the engine developed a problem, I'm sure the owner would not be told that he needs a new engine.
If they open and try to repair the transmission then MB will not allow this and nor will they pay. The car is still in warranty and therefore the transmission must be sent back whole, for examination.

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 07:00 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 00 C-230, 04 C-240
Sounds good to me, whatever.
I wonder if they do the same with broken engines? I would not know, it's been a long time since i visited a dealer. Oh, and by the way, I did have a similar experience when a dealer told me that my tranny was replaced under warranty, but it turned out to be a throttle body high-pressure solenoid replacement -- not the entire tranny. The dealer admitted to the reported "mistake" only after I had an indy mechanic check on their work. The tranny did not look new to me when I picked up the car after the repairs, so I had it verified!!!
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 09:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2009
Send a message via AIM to Benznoob26
Why do half of the used Benz owners think MB dealers are simply there to milk their wallets? sad.

There's no point in pretending we know the common ailments of a GLK that the dealer does. And even if they misdiagnose the problem the cars under warranty and you'll have it back in a few days anyways. If you want to be a paranoid girl sharpie an X onto your trans and you'll know. Then you won't have to waste X amount of dollars on a "verification".

And if you own a 540i BMW almost every Indy will refuse to replace the timing chains and tell you to buy a new engine.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 11:09 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle: 2010 GLK 4matic
2010 GLK 4matic Wheel Bearing problem or transmission?

Hello - Love my 2010 GLK and I am at end of lease with 46K - plan to purchase as residual is low. Will be taking the extended warranty. But safety check today @ dealer (Toronto) noticed a "humming" noise - was told wheel bearing (only left front one) needed replacing in order to pass safety which is covered under original warranty. Am thinking this may be the start of something more serious such as the transmission problem you experienced - and other boards make mention of transmission swaps. All servicing was done @ dealership including Service B. Vehicle has never been taken off road and I am a careful and gentle driver so what gives? Anyone else have these issues - comments - suggestions much appreciated.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 02:43 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 1999 E300TD
GLKgirl, as long as you have the extended warranty you should be fine. I dont care what you buy, your going to have some problems with any car. The wheel bearings are sealed bearings unlike older ones and yes they do go bad and cannot be serviced, only replaced. I have replaced many of these transmission for this humming issue. The noise comes from the transfer case, which is attached on the back of the trans. As stated before, MB does not want us opening them up and repairing anything. The trans/transfer case comes as one unit when replaced. Make sure you keep up with recommended services and a good idea would be to make friends with an MB tech
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 08:07 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Trust but verify.

After the work was performed, if possible, have an independent mechanic verify that the tranny was actually replaced, and not just some small part. Plenty of stories where the work claimed by a stealer was actually not performed.

This really sounds suspicious to me -- first wheel bearings and now a tranny swap.
I think I may get the aftermarket warranty my regular mechanic accepts and no longer buy the extended/manufacturer warranties any longer.

I just got service records on one of our cars. There is a list of things that the dealer billed GM for but when I picked up the car the paperwork said "could not duplicate" for each problem. No work was performed on the car.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 08:13 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

We bought a 2010 and had the same issue now the second one has the same issue now with 60000 and mb has told me sorry for your issue but we will not support this as it is out of warranty and the dealer did not perform my maintance. I am strongly suggesting you get a different car before the warranty runs out as you wont get anything from mb after that and they quoted me 6700 usd to replace the trans. They did take cate of the first one but I bekieve the second one had the same bad parts inside as well...... never own another mb because of the lack of support. I love the car but if it dont last it aint worth it. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in