LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What is the Maintenance cost of a MB?

Hi all, I currently drive a 1998 honda civic and looking to move up in the world. i am considering the 2010-2011 MB E-Class, but I want to know how much money I would be looking at in terms of maintenance cost per year?

What is the average repair bill cost for a MB?

Also, is the new E-Class a reliable car?

Thanks folks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 10:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Opening another can of worms?
This is forum for owners doing their own maintenance and at least smaller repairs. Nobody here will consider paying dealer $700 for oil change and some checking.
Repairs? The best to date is our ML320. In 13 years took about $300 in broken parts.
The worse ? ??? I wouldn't know
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 12:14 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 2009 E63
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is a forum for all sorts of Mercedes owners. And non-owners, too. Not everyone is a DIYer and not everyone is expected to be.

To answer the OP's question, these cars will be more expensive as are most Euro cars in this segment. You can look here for some general info and comparisons: 2011 Mercedes-Benz E-Class 3.5L V6 7-speed Automatic True Cost to Own

Also do some basic searching here and in other forums. Or simply use Google.

The W212 has been pretty reliable so far and you will have a warranty which you can also extend.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 01:39 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2009
Send a message via AIM to Benznoob26
I agree with 6.3AMG and will add the DIY'ers tend to have MB's that have been out of warranty for quite awhile. The newer MB owners typically have shops do the work.

Gmack, the general answer for questions like yours is....if you have to ask you can't afford it. From reading your other posts it seems like your somewhere near the edge of being able to pay for it. And making monthly payments along with maintenance/insurance is not the same as being able to afford it. No matter how much you make it's never smart to buy a newer car as you will take a huge hit on depreciation. You can just afford to because you make more.

I highly recommend you keep your savings and put a few grand down on a $13-17k Benz and afford it with ease. I just picked up a '99 SLK230 with 74k miles for $10.5k after taxes/registration/plates and it looks brand new, drives like new, I get compliments on it daily, and everyone thinks it's a new car. You might want to look into the S500 and E500, I have seen them priced from $12-18k with 20-40k miles. The body styles of both models barely changed through the years.

Hypothetically in 5 years once you've paid off the c300 their will be a new hot model you're drooling for. By now you've paid $30-40k for a car worth 14kit you're lucky, been broke for 5 years making payments, while you earned 8% of 20k for 5 years coming in roughly at $30K. So in 5 years you've lost 16-26k in your car and made 10k. Your older car will have dropped value from $15k to $10k, your $20k turning to $30k or $70k depending on how much more you saved, and you've spent 5 years living comfortably.

Sorry for the long post,just thought I would show a perspective that's rarely shown. Just remember your interest rate ultimately plays a huge role, 5% of $30k is $1.5k, a 6 year loan has you paying $39,000 on a $30,000 car that will be worth half of that when the loans over.. Also remember a conservative investor will get you 8-10% every year. If your interest rates on anything you plan on financing are over 5.0% you should consider putting at least a significant amount of cash down. If your interest rates are higher than 8% pay cash.

Hope this helps and good luck
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 11:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
This has to be one of the most informative general posts I've seen in a while. Definitely a "best of BenzWorld" IMHO. Good write-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benznoob26 View Post
I agree with 6.3AMG and will add the DIY'ers tend to have MB's that have been out of warranty for quite awhile. The newer MB owners typically have shops do the work.

Gmack, the general answer for questions like yours is....if you have to ask you can't afford it. From reading your other posts it seems like your somewhere near the edge of being able to pay for it. And making monthly payments along with maintenance/insurance is not the same as being able to afford it. No matter how much you make it's never smart to buy a newer car as you will take a huge hit on depreciation. You can just afford to because you make more.

I highly recommend you keep your savings and put a few grand down on a $13-17k Benz and afford it with ease. I just picked up a '99 SLK230 with 74k miles for $10.5k after taxes/registration/plates and it looks brand new, drives like new, I get compliments on it daily, and everyone thinks it's a new car. You might want to look into the S500 and E500, I have seen them priced from $12-18k with 20-40k miles. The body styles of both models barely changed through the years.

Hypothetically in 5 years once you've paid off the c300 their will be a new hot model you're drooling for. By now you've paid $30-40k for a car worth 14kit you're lucky, been broke for 5 years making payments, while you earned 8% of 20k for 5 years coming in roughly at $30K. So in 5 years you've lost 16-26k in your car and made 10k. Your older car will have dropped value from $15k to $10k, your $20k turning to $30k or $70k depending on how much more you saved, and you've spent 5 years living comfortably.

Sorry for the long post,just thought I would show a perspective that's rarely shown. Just remember your interest rate ultimately plays a huge role, 5% of $30k is $1.5k, a 6 year loan has you paying $39,000 on a $30,000 car that will be worth half of that when the loans over.. Also remember a conservative investor will get you 8-10% every year. If your interest rates on anything you plan on financing are over 5.0% you should consider putting at least a significant amount of cash down. If your interest rates are higher than 8% pay cash.

Hope this helps and good luck

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 04:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2009
Send a message via AIM to Benznoob26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectLA View Post
This has to be one of the most informative general posts I've seen in a while. Definitely a "best of BenzWorld" IMHO. Good write-up.
Thank you It did take a good half hour to write so it'd be nice to hear what the OP is thinking.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 04:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you It did take a good half hour to write so it'd be nice to hear what the OP is thinking.
Put me down in the "kudos" column as well.

You said pretty much everything I was thinking and in some ways better, so all I can add is:
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 03:43 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Quote:
No matter how much you make it's never smart to buy a newer car as you will take a huge hit on depreciation. You can just afford to because you make more.
Although I understand you're trying to help someone whose personal finances you seem to know, I would have to disagree with the above statement.

In the same vein, then it would be appropriate to say no matter how much you make, it's not smart to buy a Mercedes (say, over a vehicle that's more economical to maintain.) But people do buy a new car in the same mindset that one would buy a used Mercedes over a more economical car. Because both owning a new Mercedes or buying a used Mercedes can give pleasure.

So perhaps the question is rooted in what gives you pleasure in relation to what you can sensibly (i.e., without being reckless and financially irresponsible) afford to spend. And how you like to spend that money.

I personally buy new cars. Only because it gives me pleasure. I own my cars on average for 7 years. Sometimes longer (I still have a Porsche that is 15 years old and a BMW that is 9 years old; both were bought new.)

I get royalty checks and bonuses and I enjoy spending them on a new car once in a while (and with no financing.) Just like anybody who spends their money on any other 'frivolous' consumable good. And we all buy stuff all the time, including expensive coffee drinks (that are enjoyed only for a very short time and are way over priced. ) We sometimes need to enjoy life in a way that makes us individually happy; life isn't always about "being smart." And it's why we take risks, explore, fall in love, etc..

And the depreciation gets amortized in my case, since I keep the cars to the point where it levels out. I don't lease for that reason (why pay the depreciation with throw away 'rent' payments), and I cannot write off lease payments under current IRS rules.

Point being is that new cars are being bought (and hey, they eventually become the supply chain for the used car market ) And that may not seem "smart" in a strictly financial point of view. Yet paradoxically the money saved may indeed end up simply being used in another "not so smart" manner; pick your vice....
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 10:39 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
We are comparing people on budgets with people who can pay cash for $100,000 toys?
Just yesterday I build $1000 yard table for my customer. Some people have the luxury on buying new and spend money without economical logic, some not.
In my case I bought 1 Mercedes new and even it turned out to be most reliable car ever, I still regret spending cash for the snobbery.
With my skills I am buying 6-8 years old cars, drive them for few years and sell for more than I bought them for.
Should I consider spending $5 to 8 grands a year for the new car smell even if I could afford it?

Last edited by Kajtek1; 05-14-2011 at 10:41 AM.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 02:23 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
We are comparing people on budgets with people who can pay cash for $100,000 toys?
Just yesterday I build $1000 yard table for my customer. Some people have the luxury on buying new and spend money without economical logic, some not.
In my case I bought 1 Mercedes new and even it turned out to be most reliable car ever, I still regret spending cash for the snobbery.
With my skills I am buying 6-8 years old cars, drive them for few years and sell for more than I bought them for.
Should I consider spending $5 to 8 grands a year for the new car smell even if I could afford it?
Why not? You spend money on things that I might see as frivolous and stupid. But I would never say that you shouldn't do it. It's not my position to judge you or what your needs are in life. People need to do what works for them and each person is different. And if life is going to be based solely on what is considered 'economically sensible' (which is subjective in itself), then the world would be pretty stale. And you wouldn't be selling $1000 yard tables, either.

And buying new is not about snobbery, it's about an individual's desires and what makes them happy. And what they might be more comfortable with.

Be glad that people who can afford your tables buy them, and that they enjoy them and appreciate them. Otherwise you'd be taking the bus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in