LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Air Bag connector removal

Greetings, how do I remove the connector from the air bag (yellow connector) on a 1998 ML320. replacing combo switch. Battery is disconnected. thanks,wm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Hi

The WIS does not give the details - it just says 'open arresting mechanism'... See drawing below.

You must work out how it locks together, unless someone else here has experience of the task.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf W163 airbag.pdf (301.9 KB, 342 views)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyhole View Post
Hi

The WIS does not give the details - it just says 'open arresting mechanism'... See drawing below.

You must work out how it locks together, unless someone else here has experience of the task.
Thanks Keyhole, I will have to take a closer look at it. My book just states to remove it.
I read somewhere that you just pull it straight off with pliers but I would like to know if there is anything locking it before I do that.

Last edited by workmans; 05-08-2011 at 09:47 AM. Reason: typo & info not accurate.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 03:32 AM
Outstanding Contributor

I'm sure that it will have a hidden plastic latch of some kind, which MB call the 'arresting mechanism'. It will not simply pull apart. If you do that, you will certainly break something...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I'm sure that it will have a hidden plastic latch of some kind, which MB call the 'arresting mechanism'. It will not simply pull apart. If you do that, you will certainly break something...
Thanks, I plan to look at it later today, I won't do anything until I know it is the right way to do it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by workmans View Post
Thanks, I plan to look at it later today, I won't do anything until I know it is the right way to do it.
Can't see anything holding the connector in place. Everything I read states to pull it straight off but I have gently tried to remove it that way and it does not want to slide out, at least not easily.

Will the wire disconnect from the other end were it goes through the wheel?
All I want to do is get the steering wheel out of the way to replace the combo switch.

WM
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Hi - I've taken another look at the WIS page that I posted yesterday, and realize that there is another photo that might be of interest. I have included it in a re-post of the previous images below.

It shows a picture of the 'arresting mechanism' as of 01/09/01 - which is after your car was built, and suggests that it was re-designed. However I'm sure that yours will be a very similar design. It looks like a clip that revolves around and locks the plug & socket together. It will be very obvious if it is there.

If you do not see such a device, then the plug should simply pull away from the socket.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf W163 airbag.pdf (425.0 KB, 357 views)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Hi - I've taken another look at the WIS page that I posted yesterday, and realize that there is another photo that might be of interest. I have included it in a re-post of the previous images below.

It shows a picture of the 'arresting mechanism' as of 01/09/01 - which is after your car was built, and suggests that it was re-designed. However I'm sure that yours will be a very similar design. It looks like a clip that revolves around and locks the plug & socket together. It will be very obvious if it is there.

If you do not see such a device, then the plug should simply pull away from the socket.

Thanks again for your time, if you go to the link I found on this site you will see exactly what my connector looks like. They said they just pulled it off, and another person said they pulled it straight out with a pair of pliers.
I have pulled on it as much as I feel confortable doing without knowing for sure this is the correct way to remove it.
I don't want to damage the airbag.
I see no mechanism to secure it, I'm thinking it is just a very tight fit.
fyi: it's a 1998 ml320

See:http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...errerid=345909
wm
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Interesting link there... and the airbag connector appears to have no extra protection to prevent accidental disconnection. Maybe the 'health & safety' gestapo came along later to complicate the design....

So it looks like you just have to apply more finger pressure here. Try some wriggle action to open up the sob...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Interesting link there... and the airbag connector appears to have no extra protection to prevent accidental disconnection. Maybe the 'health & safety' gestapo came along later to complicate the design....

So it looks like you just have to apply more finger pressure here. Try some wriggle action to open up the sob...
keyhole, thank you for your help. I removed it, job is done, went fine after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in