BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: May 2011
Vehicle: 1996 Mercedes S500 Sedan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Finally a Mercedes Owner!!!

Hello All,

Rubondfan2 here (JAMES Bond... not BARRY Bonds) with my newly acquired 1996 black on black S500 with the 5.0 motor. I purchased it used (obviously) and it looks like it's been on quite the journey over the past 15 years. 112,000 miles with a Flood title (CarFax reports it obtained that classification back in 2001 while titled by the original owner in Florida. I'm thinking Florida = Hurricane = Flooding incident; but who knows for sure.) I bought it off an early 20-something kid in south-central Massachusetts and it's now with me spending restful nights in my garage in New Hampshire and leisurely 110 mile per day commutes down to the Boston area.

She's a little worn in some areas, fairly well maintained, but with that commute I'm gathering a growing list of items I want to do to restore her to her former glory. My long term plan is to bring her back to factory condition with the options I would have picked had I walked onto a lot back then and dropped $87,500 on her. (I'm feeling pretty darn good about my $4700 purchase price... even with the notated title).

The list I have so far (and which I'm going to be opening up separate threads to get some advice on) are:

1) Replace rear axle (I've got the part from the kid, just need to get the labor done)
2) New tires (currently there are 3 different ones on the car... ouch)
3) New factory rims (I have factory on there now, but the finish is ruined and they look pretty bad)
4) Front end alignment
5) Power antenna no longer works and is permanently extended
6) Radio issue... when turning the volume knob DOWN, the volume will go way up and then back down again eventually; I get the same kind of effect when turning the knob UP... perhaps a wiring issue?
7) Driver mirror assembly is loose and the mirror won't adjust using the power mirror feature (passenger one is fine)
8) Rust damage in various places that has been sealed and touched up... I'm going to have that professionally restored at some point
9) My transmission shifts rather hard... almost like it's not sure if it wants to go into gear or not... it doesn't rev and then clunk, just clunks when getting on and off the gas
10) When I put her in park, she drifts for several inches before the transmission locks up to prevent further movement (perhaps related to issue 9 above?)
11) AC doesn't function so well. I hear the blower motor cranking away under the dash, but have barely perceptible airflow out of the vents. It'll do for the 60 to 70 degree weather we have now, but that ain't gonna fly in the dead of summer or winter.
12) Fogs don't appear to be working... haven't checked the bulbs yet... but the kid had installed those funky xenon (sp?) bulbs by jury rigging the wiring. He put the standard bulbs back in for me, but my "exterior bulb" light illuminates often (probably because the voltage regulation is off kilter system-wide due to those xenon bulbs)
13) An illegal and poorly done tint job needs to be redone. At some point the vehicle title was registered as a "government vehicle". It's got some mega-dark tint on all but the driver side window. I'm in the states, so I'm illegal at the moment... but I sure do like the privacy and the darkness in the cabin... but alas, must follow the rules (and besides, whoever did the tint job did a crummy job)
14) Still listening and feeling for more issues....

I'm glad to be here on the forum! I ante'd up for the lifetime membership, so hopefully that earns me a little tiny bit of favoratism! I'm looking forward to many years of joy with my new baby.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Outstanding Contributor
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one."
- George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: