LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2011
Vehicle: 2010 E350, 2009 SL550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Just became a member. Question about suspension.

Hi guys. I am very new to this site. I have a recently purchased 2007 CLK550 Convertible. I am having problem with the clunk noise I hear from the frontend of the CLK550 when I hit a bump even at very low speeds. I had it checked and they tell me the frontend is OK and so I was wondering if anybody had this kind of problem. Could it be from faulty shocks? The suspension bushings? Or could it be from engine or transmission mounts? But it feels like it’s coming from the connections to the wheels. This problem is making me very frustrated and I just am looking for any kind of help I might get from you guys. Thank you.

Last edited by E350CLK550; 05-04-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Check the ball joint on the upper control arm, raise the car wheel free and hit the top of the upper control arm with the palm of your hand, if a thud OK but if a clack then it is busted.

Also check where the shock connects with the lower control arm for play.

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you so much. I'll do that in the morning and let you know the outcome. Thanks again.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Eric, is it possible to find out the two cars I have are in the balance shaft problem range from the VIN numbers?
WDBUF87X57B123999
WDBTK72F47T077141
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Good morning Eric. I did do what you told me and it is a thud noise so I guess that eliminates the upper control arm. The car is 07 clk550 cabrio and it has 54K on the clock. I did go with a Benz mechanic and he checked the car on the lift and on the road with me and he says it rides OK. I have a 07 e350 as well and that car is much tighter than this one. He says they just are different cars and I have to get used to this car. I just don't believe this car rides like Mercedes. The strange thing is that when the weather is humid or rainy, the noise is much less or gone totally. It comes from the right front corner of the car. Even when I go out of my driveway and over the little curb bump, and even as the rear wheels go over the bump I can hear the noise and feel it under my feet. It almost sounds like in the old days American cars had body bushings and when they went bad you would feel it under your feet. Anyhow, when I have a problem and I know what it is, I might be able to live with it for a while, but when I don't know what causes it I can't rest until I figure it out. So what do you think about this stupid problem?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:48 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by E350CLK550 View Post
Good morning Eric. I did do what you told me and it is a thud noise so I guess that eliminates the upper control arm. The car is 07 clk550 cabrio and it has 54K on the clock. I did go with a Benz mechanic and he checked the car on the lift and on the road with me and he says it rides OK. I have a 07 e350 as well and that car is much tighter than this one. He says they just are different cars and I have to get used to this car. I just don't believe this car rides like Mercedes. The strange thing is that when the weather is humid or rainy, the noise is much less or gone totally. It comes from the right front corner of the car. Even when I go out of my driveway and over the little curb bump, and even as the rear wheels go over the bump I can hear the noise and feel it under my feet. It almost sounds like in the old days American cars had body bushings and when they went bad you would feel it under your feet. Anyhow, when I have a problem and I know what it is, I might be able to live with it for a while, but when I don't know what causes it I can't rest until I figure it out. So what do you think about this stupid problem?
Sorry but without driving the car I cannot give an answer.

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks anyway. At least now I know I have a place to get alot of info about the cars I have and the problems they may have in the future. Keep up the good work and have a great day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in