New E350 Tire Air Pressure - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: May 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Oh really? Apparently you and I attended a different school of study. I wouldn't doubt that the E350 is Autobahn ready....have you driven on the Autobahn? I have and there's everything from Smart Cars to Ferraris driving on it. In fact, the most popular car I saw while spending 2 weeks riding around Germany and Belgium in 2009 was a VW Jetta. I had a Mercedes rental, a hatchback, little 4 banger, not even sold in the USA. Everyone drives at 85mph, including the Smart cars. Occasionally you get passed like you were standing still, and most often it's the BMW's flying low. As far as tires, these Conti's have a tread wear rating of 400, which hardly makes them a performance or high speed tire. A Z rated tire (rating is 100) is made for sustained speeds in excess of 170 mph. A 400 tread wear tire is a harder tire, made to deliver mileage, not high speed control or extraordinary handling. Maybe these Contis will be better, hope so, but until I see a difference I stick with what I've experienced. But a Mercedes....should have come with Michelins or Bridgestones. Still like the car, though.
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Some Mercedes come with Michelins but mine originally came with Continental Pro Contacts and that's what were on there when I bought it used. They rode and handled well but were shot after 18,000 miles and I drive like an old lady.

Based on the dealer parts guy's advice I opted for BF Goodrich Traction T/A this time around and although they are wearing better they are stiffer tires and the ride is not nearly as nice. Handling seems to be equivalent.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: May 2011
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The air pressure mystery could be solved. Because of the locking gas cap door, I never bothered to see if there was a sticker inside of the filler door, as others had mentioned. This morning I checked and sure enough, there was a sticker. It said 32psi in front and 33 psi in the rear, cold tire. Now this does make complete sense. As far as a reasonably priced tire that seems to perform well and with a tire wear rating of 400, equal to the stock Contis, I really like the Yokohama Prada's I put on my Challenger R/T. That is a relatively heavy car (around 4100 lb.) with a heavy front end due to the 5.7 Hemi under the hood, but I couldn't be any more pleased with the ride and handling of the car. The E350 still seems to ride and handle nicer, but for an American "muscle" type car, the Challenger does very nicely. Plus, with the cylinder deactivation system (runs on 4 cylinders instead of 8 when cruising) it gets 24-26 mpg on midgrade (recommended octane level) running steady at 70 mph...and jumps pretty well when you kick it. It's not Secretariat when it's wide open (the Viper would destroy it), but again, more than ample for almost all driving I do on a daily basis (25 to 30,000 miles per year). Now it looks like the sun may come out today, so it looks like a car washing day....have a nice day, BenzWorld.....
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: