BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2011
Vehicle: 1998 c230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to tamrich
(Thread Starter)
1998 c230 my alarm wont stop going off!

The first incident consisted of my alarm going off. I went outside to stop it and it would not stop with the key. I had to get very close to the car for it to stop. The next morning I got into the car and it started to do the same thing. I started the car and the alarm Was still going off while I was driving. So I stopped the car and turned it off And back on and it was fine. I went to get in the car 2 days ago and Now the car will not start at all. the key will not unlock the doors and the wheel is locked. The key wont even turn. It goes in and beeps, howewer it doesn't turn. In the process of that the windows all rolled down. I don't know what it could be. The key, the battery, or is it an alarm switc. Please someone help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 06:53 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld. Please complete your profile as this will help members give you the most accurate answer to your questions. Location is also important when we need to help you find parts etc. This forum is for introductions only and all questions should be posted on the appropriate sub forum for your car.

To edit your profile simply click on quick links “edit profile” (quick links is top Right of the page)

At the bottom of the page you will find forum jump, click on this and view all the available sub forums and there you will find the technical forum for your car.

For FAQ see the Benzworld help section here:
BenzWorld Help - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

I would suspect the battery first off.

Regards

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
That is what I thought also. What made me think is was not the car battery because. The inside lights still come on. Would the inside lights and headlights still come off if it was The battery?

Last edited by tamrich; 04-24-2011 at 07:40 AM.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 08:43 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamrich View Post
That is what I thought also. What made me think is was not the car battery because. The inside lights still come on. Would the inside lights and headlights still come off if it was The battery?
If the headlights still work then it is unlikely to be the battery, the interior lights use small power, but if you put the headlights on and then try to start the car and the headlights go out or dim, then it is the battery.

ERIC.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
When I put the key in, It won't even turn over. I was told that if the battery is dead then it won't turn over. The wheel is locked also. I thought that the part wwhere the key goes into charges the key and obviously is linked to the battery if it is dead. I just called a tow truck to try and charge the battery and see id it works. Seems like if that is not it then or maybe the key. How much are they to get replaced if I need be?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:06 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Quote:
When I put the key in, It won't even turn over. I was told that if the battery is dead then it won't turn over. The wheel is locked also. I thought that the part wwhere the key goes into charges the key and obviously is linked to the battery if it is dead. I just called a tow truck to try and charge the battery and see id it works. Seems like if that is not it then or maybe the key. How much are they to get replaced if I need be?
There is a battery in the key and there is the car battery. If the wheel is locked then the key is not turning at all which means no key recognition. Change the battery in the key or try your spare key. But if this fails then it is more likely to be the EIS (electronic ignition switch) which is a dealer only job and quite expensive.

ERIC.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Where would I get a battery for the key and is it something I can do myself???
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:18 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Quote:
Where would I get a battery for the key and is it something I can do myself???
It is something you can do yourself, read your owners manual. As to where to buy the batteries, that is a different question and always depends on location, I am in China so I cannot help there.

ERIC.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Ok. I will try to change the batteries in my key. The light hasn't been flashing at the bottom of the key for quite some time. It just seems like i have to get closer and closer to the car inorder to unlock it. I thought I might just have to replace the key all together. to be honest I didn't know there was batteries in the Key. I just removed the top and I'm going to try that next. Its definitely not the car battery I just discovered. I am just confirming that the battery low in the key will also cause it to not be able to turn over but would that also explain the issue with the alarm keeps going off even while I was driving? Nevertheless it sounds like the batteries need to be replaced anyway if the light isn't flashing.

Last edited by tamrich; 04-24-2011 at 10:06 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Quote:
Ok. I will try to change the batteries in my key. The light hasn't been flashing at the bottom of the key for quite some time. It just seems like i have to get closer and closer to the car inorder to unlock it. I thought I might just have to replace the key all together. to be honest I didn't know there was batteries in the Key. I just removed the top and I'm going to try that next. Its definitely not the car battery I just discovered. I am just confirming that the battery low in the key will also cause it to not be able to turn over but would that also explain the issue with the alarm keeps going off even while I was driving? Nevertheless it sounds like the batteries need to be replaced anyway if the light isn't flashing.
Yes because the engine is running but the key is not recognised.

ERIC.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in