post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 07:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.2AMG View Post
I was a member for a while and then never renewed. (And btw, nobody from MBCA ever tried to contact me to retain me.) What's the reason to be a member? There was none.
I have been wishing to discuss this with folks here for some time but didn't know if it was the appropriate place, but since you mention it...
I have owned all types of cars and while I found Brit car clubs to be very inclusive and fun loving, I had a difficult time trying to figure out the MBCA membership. I reserved joining until I could meet and speak to them at a gathering at the Forest Grove Concours event a couple of years ago outside of Portland. I certainly don't mean to insult anyone who may have attended as a member, but I have a clear recollection of waiting anxiously as we wandered, admiring the lovely vehicles parked on the shaded lawn, looking froward to sitting down and having some "MB talk" with the folks and see what all the local chapter does for gatherings and drives.

Well, when I approached the MB paddock area the members weren't sitting next to or behind their cars like the owners of literally every other brand or vehicle class, but all gathered in a group in the center like they had circled the wagons. No chatting with attendees, just among themselves. There was a rope around the cars which I think all classes had, so I didn't cross it but even after making eye contact and smiling, leaning in towards a car and saying "hello" to a few folks, they all seemed completely uninterested in a conversation. This is contrary to ANY other car gathering I have attended in my life including events you might assume would be snobbish, like the Beverly Hills Concours and Charity events at MB of Beverly Hills. The random attendees were all convivial and pleasant. I did not get a good vibe from the MBCA folks and I decided right then that simply meeting BenzWorld members at our own gatherings is probably better suited to my expectations of automotive brotherhood. One elderly gentleman and his wife were very pleasant when I spoke to them as the ropes came down and the cars were leaving (yes, I always stay till the end), but it wasn't enough to motivate me to join their ranks.
I think the issue goes beyond the forums and is institutionalized behavior as others have pointed out in this thread. Just my observations and personal experience. Love the brand, but see absolutely no need to join the club.

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra

Last edited by DirectLA; 05-07-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 11:08 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 2009 E63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot View Post
I found the MBCA forum _used_ to have decent W123 content, and that since the forum software change it turned to crap. I pretty much agree with your assessment of membership. I'm a member for the discount at the classic center, but basically consider them to be they kind of MB owner who leases and doesn't own.
I own my car. I actually bought it. But what does that mean? Plus it's a 2009, which apparently means it's a "luxo-car with a lifespan of 10 years or less." And so what does that really mean? And what bearing does any of it have on my respect for the brand?

Whether somebody leases or buys, or owns a prewar or current car, it doesn't matter. Why should it? And part of the weirdness of the MBCA is that only owning a W123 or older and with high mileage badges on the grille seems to count. Sorry, but there are lots of folks with newer cars from all walks of life who appreciate the brand and know the history. In fact owners of current AMG cars are fanatics. If you own an AMG you can become a member of the AMG owned and run forum. That forum is a true pep rally for all things Mercedes and AMG, plus one gets direct tech info and early press releases from the source in Germany. Its a great resource. And it doesn't matter if you own a pre-merger AMG or a current AMG, every AMG owner is welcomed.

Part of my point is that MBCA needs to be all inclusive. Young owners, middle aged owners, older owners, people who own, people who lease, owners of vintage cars, older cars, or current cars. Instead there's this holier-than-thou attitude that unless your car is an older car, then you know nothing and you and your car are crap.

I'm clueless as to why this attitude exists. If you prefer the older cars, then fine. If you like the newer ones than fine. But don't think you're extra special just because you drive an older car and assume you know better than somebody who drives a new one. I know about Daimler and AMG's history better than most people. And I know their motorsport history all too well.

I'm a member of the PCA (Porsche Club of America) and everybody there appreciates the marque and doesn't discriminate whether you're an aircooled 912 owner, a water pumping 928 owner, a Cayenne SUV owner, or an owner of a brand new 997.2. Or if you lease or own. They are bound together by one thing: an admiration for the marque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in