Im thinking of a getting a used 2001 CLK 430 for $6000.....<snip>
What do you guys suggest i do? I really want this car.
Nobody else but you can make this decision...
But consider a few issues:
1. This car has a great engine, truly bullet-proof, and will happily run for 200K miles. Get a compression test done. It may look clean now, but a steam clean is easy, to cover up previous problems.
2. Bodywork? MB brought out new rust-resistant steel in 2003, so you may have some rust spots.
3. Ignore 3 previous owners/repossession. Some folks only want a car for 3 years, plus the economy is bad now.
4. W208 has a rather out-dated steering system, (recirculating ball, with pitman arm) so you should check the steering damper. Also a good examination of the suspension system would be a good idea while the car is up on a lift.
5. What about the service records? All in order? ATF ever been changed?
5. Overall, W208 CLKs are great cars, and fairly easy to service yourself. If all the above looks good, treat yourself to a great driving experience!