LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Entry level Mercedes advice. PLEASE HELP

Other than for the obvious reasons like optional equipment, mileage, condition and private seller’s vs. dealers why do the prices for used C 300 Mercedes appear to be so widely divergent in Southern California? The cars come well equipped without the options; are the pricier models worth the extra $$? I am strongly considering a base 2009 with < 30K miles as a purchase now, the manufacturers financing is very attractive and effectively reduces ownership cost by $3,000 over 60 months. Is the warranty extension for CPO truly appealing?. Is buying from a MBZ dealer the way to go? The 2009 C 300 cars are reasonably priced, am I crazy to buy a MBZ rental car? I don't think so. I currently drive a recent model Jag and my wife a leased BMW that we are going to rid ourselves of this month. We have decided on buying a Benz again but want to remain below $30K. Thank you all for any advice
P.S I really want a 350 but just can't justify the $$ difference for my desire to have the superior performance- is there that big a difference?? and those glass roofs are sweet!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 08:08 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2011
Vehicle: 2011 C200 CGI Avantgarde
The CPO will warranty your car, as when a MB breaks down, it will take your wallet with it. Warranty is definately very appealing. I'd deal with an offical dealer just as I've had many personal glitches with some shady 2nd hand dealers.

Otherwise its a personal preference. I think options are really nice, but they do drive up the cost of the car and hence the resale value too.

I really enjoy my C class, so hope you do too.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 09:12 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2008
I bought my C230 at the end of 07 from a MB dealer, it was a loaner. I have since put 107k miles and the CPO saved me aprox. 3k in expense. The + side of the CPO is that the car it taken to 100k on the warranty vs less on the new one. At the time, the original warranty was only 60k. I got the car with 22k on it, so my warranty was well above what I could have received on the then 'new' 2008 300. The perks from the dealer are also great in getting a free loaner, etc. Hope this helps and good luck.

Last edited by roguern; 04-11-2011 at 09:14 AM. Reason: spelling
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I would highly recommend a CPO car from a dealer. My warranty paid off like a slot machine and was well worth the premium I paid for the car.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 12:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The original warranty is 5 yrs, 50K miles and this transfers to you.

So, you have time to decide whether to purchase any more warranty--you may sell off the car before the original warranty expires, for example.

The CPO may prove a little less expensive than any other warranty you purchase (after all you'll be paying WAY in advance) but it's a fixed one-year term in any event (the 100K miles part of CPO is ridiculous).

For a car still under original warranty, it doesn't really matter much whether you buy from a dealer, but servicing the car there and establishing friendly relations with one comes highly recommended.

BTW, NO extended warranty covers as much as the original warranty, so get those "cosmetic" things fixed.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I overlooked that the 2009 is still under the new car warranty so CPO might not even come into play. The earlier you extend what you have the less it will cost. Unless the rules have changed, MB will carry you for 7/100,000 if you choose to pay for an extended warranty.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 01:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: nothing broken. finally!
base model is just... hundai. smells like it, feels like it. i wouldnt touch base model benz. base model bmw, maybe as long as it comes with a gearstick!

you will be much happier with a loaded 2yo c class vs a new taxi trim one.

CPO cars extend the warranty over whatever factory one is remaining or they just initiate the CPO warranty from date of purchase, foregoing (basically skimming you) the factory one. a lot of creative ways to word it so be thorough

vw phaeton. when vw copies mercedes, but forces you to service it next to golfs and jettas

Last edited by gyrate; 04-12-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in