LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2011
Vehicle: 190e
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What is most reliable middle-aged coupe?

Would like to buy MBZ coupe at some point, $12,000 or less range. Any opinions on which would be most reliable? Have done some research, but need some more info!

SLK or C Coupe 230 (good m111 engine, but Kompressored) vs.
CLK 320 (m112 engine - harmonic stabilizer issues? Piston pin issues? Make sure duplex timing chain) vs.
CLK 430 (m113 engine - no harmonic stabilizer, Piston pin issues? Make sure duplex timing chain) vs.
E 320 Coupe (m104 engine - inline 6 - wiring harness issues?)
What haven't I thought of?

Thanks!

Last edited by jkljackal; 04-06-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 12:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkljackal View Post
Would like to buy MBZ coupe at some point, $12,000 or less range. Any opinions on which would be most reliable? Have done some research, but need some more info!

SLK or C Coupe 230 (good m111 engine, but Kompressored) vs.
CLK 320 (m112 engine - harmonic stabilizer issues? Piston pin issues? Make sure duplex timing chain) vs.
CLK 430 (m113 engine - no harmonic stabilizer, Piston pin issues? Make sure duplex timing chain) vs.
E 320 Coupe (m104 engine - inline 6 - wiring harness issues?)
What haven't I thought of?

Thanks!
If you mean the W124 E320 I'd say it's technically the most reliable, but of course it is the oldest of the vehicle models you mentioned so you've got to take that into consideration. Also, it will have fewer and less modern safety features, not really reliability related but worth considering. The C-class coupe has been discussed exhaustively regarding the poor quality in general. The SLK seems to be very well sorted and I have the same engine in my car now (W202) and it's a great little mill. I considered the CLK's for a while as well but there seem to be so many small but irritating gremlins that CAN come up, tho many of the cars seem to be relatively problem free.
My preference in order would then be:
  • SLK (if you don't need the back seats, sexy and fun car)
  • E320 (rugged, durable, classic)
  • CLK430
  • CLK320
  • C-coupe

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2011
Vehicle: 190e
(Thread Starter)
Thanx

I appreciate the advice. Now all I gotta do is sock some more money away....
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 01:10 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2005
I currently have a 91 350 SDL and a 95 E320 Cabriolet and I have had a 350 SL and a 300D. I really think the older Diesel is the way to go. A nice condition 300 SDL is HUGE inside and a good heavy safe car. The performance isn't the best, but economy can't be beat. About 25 mpg for a large car that can travel on the highways comfortably all day long. The 350 has more power, (I like them) but you need to be careful to never overheat them or you will have head gasket problems. They are old enough to avoid most of the computer issues, but I make sure I have a parts car that I can take items off of (my old 350 SD that was rear-ended). We drive ours all over (last was to the daytona 500). As with any older car, you need to be prepared for an occasional break down but this car is fairly simple to repair (for a Mercedes )
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 08:08 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2005
As an afterthought, I spend a lot of time at the local MB repair shop (non-dealer) as I know the man who owns it and I see a lot of the more "complex" MB's in there all the time with some of the same problems over and over. I see the active suspension systems, traction systems, and about every system on the V-12's repeatedly costing their owners alot of money in repairs. I'd say whatever model you choose, try to get one with the least number of "options". They seem to cost alot in upkeep...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 04:35 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
I'm not sure whay you mean by 'middle aged'? Some folks consider a 10 y/o car as old - so that might mean a 5 y/o is middle aged.

If you mean that, I'd recommend a CLK 320. You get seating for 4 adults. A sporty ride. Loads of gadgets, if it's fully loaded. Bullet-proof M112 engine. Compared to some others, fairly easy to maintain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in