post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Which Benz to get?

Hi everyone,

I'm 22 years old, want to get my first Benz.
The reason behind it is the 'perceived value of it'. Because as of right now I have a 350z, and I want to move into something more luxury and upper class. 350z is something a teenager would drive, and doesn't look very professional. Now if you ask me anything about a Nissan, I would tell you everything and anything you want to know... as far as a Benz, I know absolutely nothing about it.

I am located in Toronto.

With that being said...

I was looking at Class C and Class E, I didn't like the B class because no offense to anyone who has it, but for me it doesn't look like a Mercedes that was originally made (like the bubble back).

So please help me out, since I know nothing about classes, differences, etc.

What I found out is that a Class C is a 4cylinder, while a class E is a 6cylinder. What I also found out (and please confirm everything) is that the E class is a lot nicer, A LOT SAFER, and A LOT more reliable. Is that true?

What I'll be using my car is from home to work, work to gym, gym to home. And during the weekends. No offroading, no speeding (I'm already passed that stage). I just want something to roll in, luxury, safe, comfortable, and RELIABLE. I had a corolla all my life that never died on me, so reliable is KEY in my purchase.

I've searched around and I've found a few nice 2007 E350s for $30,000 (30K is my budget) with around 50,000KM on the motor which is awesome! So if anyone can find me a better car that is suited for me, I would love that.

I am looking for THREE KEY THINGS
1. Reliable if I drive it normally without speeding, and doing stupid stuff
2. Needs to have a long front (but a 4seater)
3. 2007 is lowest year I can go

thanks a lot guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 06:30 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2011
Vehicle: 2011 C250
I'd like to clarify that you can get C class in a V6. We have the 2011 C250 and so far we love it. But it was more than 30K. You can definitely find an '07 or '08 though.

(up to 40K)
Used MERCEDESBENZ CCLASS Mercedes-Benz C-Class ? Ontario

I can't comment on leg room because we are quite short (5'3 and 5'9) but I'm sure the seat can go much farther back. I don't think you have to worry about reliability regardless of which Benz you get. They are all well-built and made safer than many cars.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 06:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 1984 190D 2.2
Take a look at the cars forum and you can get a sense about the reliability and what would better suit you.

If it is going to be a car just to use as a daily driver around town, I'd say the C-Class would be better for you. However, the E-Class is more luxurious, so it's really up to your personal preference.

C Class Forum
W204 C-Class - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

E Class Forums
(2003-2009) W211 E-Class - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum
(2010-present) W212 E-Class - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

1979 Pontiac Firebird 5.7- 86,142 miles
1981 Chevrolet Corvette 5.7
1984 Mercedes 190D 2.2 Auto - 140,628 miles
1987 Chevrolet Sprint 1.0 - 139,000 miles
1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais S - 123,000 miles
1989 Chrysler New Yorker - 95,000 miles
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T - 101,000 miles
1999 Dodge Durango - 178,000 miles
2003 Dodge Dakota - 203,000 miles
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 06:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I consider the C as being a more younger car, but that may be reason enough for you to choose an E if you plan to keep it for a while and value the professional image it gives. It is a larger car too of course. I don't think you will be happy with any modern MB if you're using a Toyota Corolla as the reliability comparison. Toyota's are built to last and with minimal input from the driver, tolerances are less to enable a relative lack of maintenance by their owners. MB's are very highly engineered cars that require regular and timely maintenance to perform not only well, but at all in some extreme cases. The cost of maintenance will also be multi-fold what you're accustomed to unless you plan to do most work yourself, then you will only be paying more for parts. It's wise yo only use MB specified fluids and filters, etc., to make sure the car will last. It's well documented on this forum that members have had problems even with aftermarket parts like MAF's and the like, that are brand new but not made to the MB standard and fail out of the box.

I don't mean to dissuade you from wanting a Benz, it is a special feeling to own and drive one of these cars, but rather to help you avoid disappointment or an empty bank account. If you can put back $2,000 or so in a fund for maintenance and small repairs then you are better off, or perhaps look for slightly less costly cars and use the money you save for repairs. Having said that, if you can find a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) car at a dealer it will have a warranty to help protect you.

All in all, I suggest reading every forum for every model you're considering, take the car to a certified MB shop for evaluation before you buy, and have a warranty or funds set aside. Good luck!

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in